New Membership Record for Child

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
JoelRussell

New Membership Record for Child

Postby JoelRussell » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:13 pm

Question:

4-year-old girl was blessed in church but info was never put in the computer. Now parents are litigating divorce and father wants his daughter on church records.

All the handbook material indicates that if a child is blessed, you can create a membership record. The blessing includes permission to create a record.

But the system requires a signed form, and that's not going to happen from the mother. So is the girl just out of luck? I can add her to the father's family, but I can't get her to show up on Primary roster or directory.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Membership Record for Child

Postby russellhltn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 pm

You might contact support about the situation to see what they say. Perhaps if you can produce a blessing certificate, that would suffice.

Personally, I think I'd wait to see how the custody situation settles out. I don't see any value to having a child-of-record if she's going to end up in a family that's hostile to her participation. That might be something to talk over with the bishop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 pm

This sounds to me to be one to run past the bishop. If the bishopric 4 years ago was following policy, there would have been a child blessing form created for the blessing which would have been signed by at least one of the parents. If that was not done, and I was the clerk now, I wouldn't step into the fray of a sticky divorce without direction from at least the bishop and perhaps some sound legal advice that the bishop can obtain from the stake president or church legal department.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:52 pm

I agree with the above suggestions. If nobody has noticed up till now that there isn't a record for the child, it doesn't seem wise to rush to create one now while a divorce is in progress – especially if it would imply the ward "officially" "picking sides" between the father and mother as to where to put the record.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

JoelRussell

Postby JoelRussell » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:04 pm

OK, thanks all, I will contact the clerk in the next-door ward and see if there's any documentation. Otherwise, leave it as is.

condefel

Postby condefel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:12 am

Un favor como registrar la bendicion de un niño en el sistema de la iglesia. muchas gracias

Return to “Membership Help”