Complete list of standard stake and ward callings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Complete list of standard stake and ward callings

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:17 am

MFBarnett wrote:It would also be helpful to have the standard or suggested time frame listed with each calling. (For example, bishop's are generally in for 5 years in our area. Is that the usual worldwide?)

For out-of-unit leaders serving outside their home wards in Young Single Adult wards and stakes, the General Handbook specifies that the calling is normally for no longer than 3–5 years:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/14-single-members?lang=eng#title_number30
That's the only specific guideline for length of service that I'm aware of.

EDIT: Missionaries and mission presidents also have specific lengths of service.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:25 am

I've heard of a 5 year limit for Bishops, and 10 years for stake president. But that may be a regional thing. I can't find it in the Handbook.

I'm not aware of any limits for other ward/stake callings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:04 am

russellhltn wrote:I've heard of a 5 year limit for Bishops, and 10 years for stake president.

While these may be what is seen on average, there is no time limit for serving in either calling.

BrianEdwards

Postby BrianEdwards » Mon May 03, 2021 8:52 am

Another unintended impact of even unofficial time periods for callings, is the associated internal pressure placed on the member. If they don't serve the "intended" amount of time due to personal reasons, it's all too easy to feel like your service was incomplete or a failure. Likewise, there are way too many members who have silently struggled in callings for much longer than they should have, because they were under the assumption that they "needed" to serve longer.

Also, I may be more prone to this than others, but I can tell you that even in church callings, if I know my time is nearing an end, it definitely impacts how I approach my responsibilities. And when I've had callings where my release was a 'surprise', I definitely was more focused on things than I would have been if I knew I was being released soon!

Return to “Membership Help”