Adoptions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
1historian-p40

Post by 1historian-p40 »

It is the biological father who should originally be listed or it is imposable to be born in the covenant (BIC takes 2 people) If the child has been adopted it can be changed to show the step father when submitting the request through MLS the bishop will need to see and verify the adoption papers and then submit the change to Salt lake using the special request option in the membership section of MLS
1historian-p40

Post by 1historian-p40 »

The Handbook (book 1) states that you should create a "child of record" record for the children. no priesthood ordinance is necessary for this to occur.
geek

Post by geek »

embunker wrote:We had a situation where a child was BIC, but not long after dad split. The child after a divorce and remarriage of the mother in the temple was adopted by the stepfather. One of my clerks wanted to know if we put the name down of the father the child was sealed to or adopted by. Clearly the adoption takes precedence even though children are never re-sealed to the adoptive parent
My understanding is that, as far as MLS is concerned, that the father is the adopted stepfather. As far as MLS is concerned, you only have one father - the legal one.

BIC and sealing status is entirely separate. There is no field in MLS to record to which father a child is sealed. BIC is a strictly binary field.

But call SLC if you really have an issue with it.
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
Skyhawk-p40

Post by Skyhawk-p40 »

geek wrote:As far as MLS is concerned, you only have one father - the legal one.
100% correct.

Also, about the original problem, the Handbook says that only the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) can request that a record be created. If the single mother is literally the only adopting parent, then she gets to make the call. If the child is under 8 years old, a New Child of Record would be created. If the individual is over 8 years old, the only way a record can be created is through baptism. Otherwise, a nonmember record would be created to add the individual in the household.

But, you guys pretty much already answered that....just thought I would consolidate it into one place!
webybee

Post by webybee »

embunker wrote:We had a situation where a child was BIC, but not long after dad split. The child after a divorce and remarriage of the mother in the temple was adopted by the stepfather. One of my clerks wanted to know if we put the name down of the father the child was sealed to or adopted by. Clearly the adoption takes precedence even though children are never re-sealed to the adoptive parent
I had a similar problem. A couple in my ward adopted a family member's child that was BIC. I called SLC and was told to, have the adoptive parents write a letter to the First Presidency, also would need letters from the Bishop and Stake President. Each case is reviewed by the First Presidency because it involves a dismissal of a sealing.

Hope this helps

Return to “Membership Help”