Convert Baptismal records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
coletheelder

Postby coletheelder » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:08 pm

All of these posts are from 2007 and 2008. I thought there was a recommended procedure for the missionaries to follow that included introducing the baptism form in PEC prior to baptism. Aren't there any solutions relevant to 2011?

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:15 pm

coletheelder wrote:All of these posts are from 2007 and 2008. I thought there was a recommended procedure for the missionaries to follow that included introducing the baptism form in PEC prior to baptism. Aren't there any solutions relevant to 2011?
The procedure essentially has not changed from the instructions provided in the previous CHI to the 2010 Handbook 1. See Handbook 1, 16.3.2, for the instructions pertaining to convert baptisms. You will note there is no requirement for the baptism form to be presented in PEC. This may be a local procedure. If it is a local procedure it would most likely be implemented by the mission president and not the bishop or stake president since the mission president holds the keys for baptizing and confirming converts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

coletheelder

Postby coletheelder » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks for the CHI reference!

jla59

Postby jla59 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Our ward also had a problem with a baptism not being recorded properly (we could find no record of the baptism and the individual was not in MLS as a member.). I contacted Local Unit Support via MLS, and the reply was to locate two Melchezidek Preisthood holders who witnessed the baptism/confirmation and have them sign a paper stating that. I wrote up a simple document with the name of the person, the date of the baptism, the date of the confirmation, and who performed the ordinances. I then had the witnesses sign the paper. The paper was then filed away with all of our other recorded baptisms. Then, I created the member record.

pzells

Postby pzells » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:55 am

When a convert is baptized, the mission creates a member record for the convert. What happens if the convert already has a record because she was blessed as a baby?

I am concerned that the mission will create a new record for her, and I'll have two records of the same person to deal with.

Thanks

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:25 pm

pzells wrote:When a convert is baptized, the mission creates a member record for the convert. What happens if the convert already has a record because she was blessed as a baby?

I am concerned that the mission will create a new record for her, and I'll have two records of the same person to deal with.

Thanks

In many cases, the records will match up. But if they do not, you use MLS to cancel one of the duplicate records, probably the one without the baptism information.

Return to “Membership Help”