Page 2 of 4

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:14 pm
by Gary_Miller
I can't seem to "drill down" at least on the on line report that was submitted earlier today.

However here is my current numbers from Clerk Resources.

Total in the ward today 465.

Total on report 456 submitted today.

I don't think it counted the records received since the end of June. Never the less I don't think it really matters much. It is what it is.

Edit: On further review it did not count the 10 moved in within the last month, using today as the default date.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:14 am
by sbradshaw
I can confirm that at least some of my wards received records before the end-of-quarter membership was calculated. Two of the wards in my stake are dormant during Summer term (Wyview on-campus BYU housing) meaning they have no members. The clerk of one of the wards (an out-of-unit member, so he and the bishopric are not included in the count) made a special effort to get everyone sent where they should go – he had it down to zero by the end of the last day of June... But a couple of records snuck in from Address Unknown just in time to be counted in the report. So he had to mark that 0 of them attended their meetings, giving his unit 0% attendance instead of 0/0, which would've been 100%... Granted it would've been somewhat skewed either way.

Hopefully they wait till the second day or something after this next quarter ends, to send any more records.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:12 pm
by jhigbee
Someone in-the-know can correct me- but the understanding from our ward leaders and stake clerks (that I’ve met with in our priesthood leadership meetings) indicate that the quarterly statistics are generated based on the membership numbers on the actual date the clerk runs the report- NOT necessarily on the first day of the quarter (ours for instance was run on July 9th this time). So these “second-chances” AU records that were sent to us on July 1st decreased our report percentages (attendance and HT and VT), unless the ward membership clerks were Johnny on the Spot in either getting them returned to CHQ, or in very rare cases quickly find some additional info that would lend them to finding these people’s new addresses. Granted, attendance and HT/VT percentages are not the most important membership records concerns. But suffice it to say that CHQ’s timing of these mass-returns of Address Unknown records seems rather inappropriate. They could have waited until about any other time within the quarter, other than at the first two weeks of the quarter.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:53 am
by aebrown
jhigbee wrote:the understanding from our ward leaders and stake clerks (that I’ve met with in our priesthood leadership meetings) indicate that the quarterly statistics are generated based on the membership numbers on the actual date the clerk runs the report- NOT necessarily on the first day of the quarter

No, that's not correct. The base numbers of members in the various categories of the Quarterly Report are generated based on the last day of the reporting quarter. Those numbers cannot be changed, and do not change depending on when you run the report. Any other approach would be chaotic -- you would have numbers changing as updates to the QR are made, and you could have cases where you could have greater than 100% in some categories.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 am
by jhigbee
That certainly does make sense to have them set on the last day of quarter, thereby avoiding such a “chaotic” situation. But are you 100% sure that is the actual set protocol? It is in conflict to what our Stake Clerk told us in our last priesthood leadership meeting.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 am
by lajackson
jhigbee wrote:That certainly does make sense to have them set on the last day of quarter, thereby avoiding such a “chaotic” situation. But are you 100% sure that is the actual set protocol? It is in conflict to what our Stake Clerk told us in our last priesthood leadership meeting.

In my experience, what aebrown said is correct. The first time you open MLS after the end of the quarter, you will see a popup asking you to do a Send/Receive. That S/R sets the membership statistics in MLS for the previous quarter based on the last day of the quarter. Those numbers are used as the basis of the quarterly report.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:36 am
by mfmohlma
sbradshaw wrote:I can confirm that at least some of my wards received records before the end-of-quarter membership was calculated.

Ours showed up on June 30.
sbradshaw wrote:So he had to mark that 0 of them attended their meetings, giving his unit 0% attendance instead of 0/0, which would've been 100%...

Divide by zero would probably not have been 100%, but that's irrelevant. ;)
sbradshaw wrote:Hopefully they wait till the second day or something after this next quarter ends, to send any more records.

Hopefully so. I'm just trying not to get discouraged over the whole thing...

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:20 am
by lajackson
mfmohlma wrote:I'm just trying not to get discouraged over the whole thing...

Every time I tell one of our clerks "all in a day's work," I get referred to Abraham 3:4. [grin]

Some of our wards received the records a few days before the end of the quarter. Some received them after the new quarter began. I do not think they all went out at exactly the same time. Some of them had them included in their quarterly report; others did not.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 am
by russellhltn
jhigbee wrote:That certainly does make sense to have them set on the last day of quarter, thereby avoiding such a “chaotic” situation. But are you 100% sure that is the actual set protocol? It is in conflict to what our Stake Clerk told us in our last priesthood leadership meeting.


I believe that's true for MLS. Not so sure about the on-line tools.

Re: Received 20 Old Membership Records

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:43 pm
by Gary_Miller
I think you guys are getting all up tight over nothing.

In the Eternal scheme of things what does it really matter when the records were sent down?

What really matters is that we do our best to find these lost souls and get their record sent to the proper place so the unit where they live can help them. See Luke 15: 3-7.