Removing Non-member children's records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aarondesk

Removing Non-member children's records

Post by aarondesk »

We have a less-active family in our ward that has not been to church for many years. Records were created for their children a few years ago, presumably when the parents were baptized. The children are now respectively 18 and 21, and are showing up on organizational lists (rolls, home/visit teaching) even though they are not members.

Am I correct to assume that their records are not listed in church headquarters (according to here, https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Nonmember_rec ... er_records )? We can therefore remove them from MLS directly?

Thank you.
eblood66

Re: Removing Non-member children's records

Post by eblood66 »

aarondesk wrote:We have a less-active family in our ward that has not been to church for many years. Records were created for their children a few years ago, presumably when the parents were baptized. The children are now respectively 18 and 21, and are showing up on organizational lists (rolls, home/visit teaching) even though they are not members.

Am I correct to assume that their records are not listed in church headquarters (according to here, https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Nonmember_rec ... er_records )? We can therefore remove them from MLS directly?

Thank you.
It depends on whether the records are temporary non-member records (as described in the article you referenced) or whether they are 'member of record' records. If you follow the instructions listed later in that article and children are listed there, then the records are temporary and you can just remove them.

If they do not show up as temporary records then you have to follow the process described in Handbook 1 section 13.6.2.
aarondesk

Post by aarondesk »

So how do I determine whether they are temporary or 'member of record'?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you can delete it, it's temporary:

To remove a temporary record:
  • From the MLS '''Membership Records''' panel click '''More'''.
  • From the '''View and Update''' panel click '''More'''.
  • From the '''Other Record Changes''' panel, click '''Remove Temporary Records'''.
  • Select the member’s name and click '''OK'''. This removes the temporary record from MLS.
I'm pretty sure removing a child of record is much more complex.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
silus99

Post by silus99 »

So to clarify 13.6.2, when a new member gets baptized, we should try to get their kids (under age 9) on the records as a member of record. Once that is done, they stay that way until they get baptized or they turn 18 and we request their records are removed. What I am not clear on is that is says that once they turn 9 that they are no longer considered a member of record. So from age 9 to 18 is there a way (or is it even appropriate) for the record to be change to a temporary record so they do not show up on rolls, etc?

Also, it states that those with intellectual disabilities get a record regardless of age. I assume this applies to those who are children of members. We have a gentleman who attends our ward who does not require baptism due to intellectual disabilites, but has no member family, is there a some point where he gets a record?

Thanks,
Bryan
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

silus99 wrote:What I am not clear on is that is says that once they turn 9 that they are no longer considered a member of record. So from age 9 to 18 is there a way (or is it even appropriate) for the record to be change to a temporary record so they do not show up on rolls, etc?
Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops, 13.6.2, provides the answer. Check the last paragraph. Essentially the record is retained until the person is 18. There is no option to 'convert' the record to a temporary record. They are to be given every opportunity to be baptized during this record retention period. Removing them from any rolls removes them from the attention and the opportunity they deserve to be baptized. As the cliché goes, "out of sight, out of mind."
silus99 wrote:Also, it states that those with intellectual disabilities get a record regardless of age. I assume this applies to those who are children of members. We have a gentleman who attends our ward who does not require baptism due to intellectual disabilites, but has no member family, is there a some point where he gets a record?
Handbook 1, 16.3.5, does not limit those with intellectual disabilities to people who have family in the Church or who is a child of a Church member. It just addresses persons who have intellectual disabilities. It is up to your bishop, and possibly in counsel with the stake president, to consider the circumstances of the man you describe as having intellectual disabilities to determine what should be done.

It is just my thought that a person without the ability to knowingly repent would probably have a guardian since they most likely have no capacity to practicably and legally care for themselves. If they do have a legal guardian then the guardian would need to be involved in the decision to create a record.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Membership Help”