Recording releases and new callings...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Recording releases and new callings...

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of a workflow app that we could record everything in. Simple, Calling entered in... assigned to Bishopric, 1st or 2nd, release extended to current calling occupant, sustained, set apart --> THEN entered into MLS automatically
I think it's a good idea, but it implies that one workflow works for everyone. This could easily turn into a "be careful what you wish for" situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

RossEvans wrote:In my opinion callings are "membership related" because MLS membership data includes this information. That does not necessarily apply to everything else that occurs in Sacrament Meeting, such as speakers.
Taken to an extreme, even the names of members, such as in a list of speakers, could be considered membership data. :)
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

sbradshaw wrote:
RossEvans wrote:In my opinion callings are "membership related" because MLS membership data includes this information. That does not necessarily apply to everything else that occurs in Sacrament Meeting, such as speakers.
Taken to an extreme, even the names of members, such as in a list of speakers, could be considered membership data. :)
I am not inclined to take it "to an extreme," and prefer to hew to the letter of the policy. But as I said above, my opinion is not authoritative. If you need an authoritative answer to that hypothetical question in your stake, ask your stake president.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of a workflow app that we could record everything in. Simple, Calling entered in... assigned to Bishopric, 1st or 2nd, release extended to current calling occupant, sustained, set apart --> THEN entered into MLS automatically
I think it's a good idea, but it implies that one workflow works for everyone. This could easily turn into a "be careful what you wish for" situation.
Once a calling is 'approved' by the bishopric it seems like the remaining information is
  • person responsible to issue the call
    flag or date for call extended
    maybe a flag for call accepted
    link to any callings to be released
You would want some way to prepare lists from this
  • calls each person is assigned to extend
    calls/releases ready for sustaining
and a simple way to say they were sustained and have that become the official calling in CDOL. The setting apart would need to be recorded after that.

Ideas on other data that would be useful in this process?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jonesrk wrote:Ideas on other data that would be useful in this process?
As JohnShaw mentioned, the release needs to be extended to someone (if someone has the calling currently), which implies a person being assigned to extend the release, and a workflow step to record that it was done. You may have intended to imply all this by "link to any callings to be released," but I thought I'd make it explicit.

Also, for stake callings, the bishop needs to be consulted.

Also, for priesthood ordinations, there is a workflow as well. I'm not trying to goldplate the requirements here, but if someone is starting to think about this, it might be good to envision a design general enough to handle AP ordinations at the ward level, and MP ordinations at the stake level (which is quite different).
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

aebrown wrote:it might be good to envision a design general enough to handle AP ordinations at the ward level, and MP ordinations at the stake level (which is quite different).
Agreed. It is already confusing enough that the MP ordination record instructs the bearer to give the completed form to the ward clerk, when the stake clerk has an equal need to receive a copy of the completed form. This ambiguity consistently trips up new high councilors, who think their responsibility is finished when they hand the completed form to the ward clerk.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Membership Help”