Stake Geo Codes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
simonawright

Re: Stake Geo Codes

Post by simonawright »

jonesrk wrote: The new boundary change feature won't use geo codes like MLS does. It will let you draw on the map and uses the members locations in lds.org/maps
I am wondering how this will work for us in the UK, and Europe, with the privacy issues we have. If I understand things correctly we will have to verify all the member household locations on the map for us to do any boundary stuff.
As many of our members, including active ones, have their info set to private won't that effectively make their address 'public' on the map? I don't know the privacy laws well enough to know if this is an issue for us.
I am assuming that when an address is verified on the map it is visible to all members of the unit, not sure about further afield.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

simonawright wrote:I am assuming that when an address is verified on the map it is visible to all members of the unit, not sure about further afield.
I wouldn't make that assumption. Maps knows when profiles are private. Seems pointless to acknowledge a profile as private if it's going to show it to everyone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

simonawright wrote:
jonesrk wrote: The new boundary change feature won't use geo codes like MLS does. It will let you draw on the map and uses the members locations in lds.org/maps
I am wondering how this will work for us in the UK, and Europe, with the privacy issues we have. If I understand things correctly we will have to verify all the member household locations on the map for us to do any boundary stuff.
I am guessing that as a clerk or priesthood leader you will be able to see the information you need to do a boundary change, but that others will not if their settings are restricted.

It would be nice to confirm that a map location remains private even if you verify it. If it does not, I would see this as a significant bug in the system that needs to be fixed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:It would be nice to confirm that a map location remains private even if you verify it.
The visibility settings in the Directory do affect the display of a household on Maps. Verifying a household location marker does not affect the household location marker visibility set in the Directory.

There is a privacy setting in the Directory for the display of the household on a map pop-up and on Maps titled "Show on Map" If it is set to "Private - Leadership Only" then the household marker is only visible to leaders. In the Directory there will be no "Show on Map" link for a household for any members who do not have the proper access rights. And on Maps the household will show the household location as unmapped in the Maps directory and no location marker on the Maps map display.

Of course the "Household Visibility Limit" setting in the Directory sets the highest visibility for any of the other household and personal visibility settings. As such, if the household visibility setting is "Private - Leadership Only" then only leaders will be able to see the household location marker in the map pop-up in the Directory or on Maps.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Membership Help”