Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:11 am

Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Postby jamauai » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

A 14 yr old girl who recently moved into the ward and staying with relatives came in the office last Sunday asking me to transfer her records from Arizona. Her friend and/or cousin was also in the room, probably same age. Am I supposed to ask her parent/guardian for some verification or do I just request the records? What if the parent/guardians are non-members? Do you have to be a certain age to ask the clerk to transfer your record?

Community Administrator
Posts: 28755
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Postby russellhltn » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm

I don't know of any such policy. One that could come into play is how long will she be there? Generally you don't move records if it's less than 3 months. Read Handbook 1: 13.6.4 for details.

As far as being a 14 year old, I don't see a problem. (She is where she is and doesn't need the church's permission to be there.) However, you might want to run it past the bishop first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Senior Member
Posts: 3395
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Postby eblood66 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:33 pm

You may want to check with whoever she is staying with to verify the situation and make sure (as russellhltn said) that the move is long enough to justify moving the records. But in general records are supposed to be in the ward where the person resides.

Community Moderators
Posts: 8030
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Re: Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Postby jdlessley » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:06 pm

I would be uncomfortable doing anything with a minor's record, especially the address, without first consulting with the parent(s) or guardian(s). A minor does not have legal capacity to request changes.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests