Not Accountable Member Who Was Baptized, Missing Ordinance Information

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dandaman74

Not Accountable Member Who Was Baptized, Missing Ordinance Information

Postby dandaman74 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:32 pm

I am a new ward clerk, and wonder if any of you have run into a particular problem I'm having.

The previous ward clerk had noted a problem in the membership record of a particular young woman in our ward, and had asked the father if he had a copy of her baptismal certificate. The previous clerk has now moved out of state, and the father brought me the certificate today. Unsure what the problem had been, we looked together at her membership record in LCR. I could see that under the ordinances tab, there was no baptism information recorded. I also noted that her membership record has a designation under the ordinances tab that the member is not accountable. (The daughter has Down Syndrome).

The certificate confirms the baptismal information, as do several witnesses of the baptism (it was only a couple of years ago). Since a baptismal certificate was issued, I can discern that at some time the baptismal ordinance was entered into LCR.  Nevertheless, it is either absent or invisible now.  I looked to see if I could re-enter it, and the daughter does not show as even having the option to enter ordinances for her.  All of the rest of the family can have ordinances entered, but not her.  I suspect that the option to add an ordinance is gone because of the "not accountable" designation.  Is this accurate?

Naturally the family would like this ordinance to be in the records of the church.  Any ideas of how I can get this resolved since LCR won't allow me to enter it?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Not Accountable Member Who Was Baptized, Missing Ordinance Information

Postby russellhltn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

I would contact support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

eblood66

Re: Not Accountable Member Who Was Baptized, Missing Ordinance Information

Postby eblood66 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:52 pm

dandaman74 wrote:Since a baptismal certificate was issued, I can discern that at some time the baptismal ordinance was entered into LCR.

That isn't necessarily the case. In MLS you could easily print a certificate without entering the baptism ordinance itself.

dandaman74 wrote:Naturally the family would like this ordinance to be in the records of the church.  Any ideas of how I can get this resolved since LCR won't allow me to enter it?

As long as she is not accountable I don't think that will be possible. If the bishop, in consultation with the parents, feels that she is actually accountable and that she could indeed understand the baptism and associated covenant to a sufficient degree, then you'll need to contact Local Unit Support so they can remove the not accountable designation. If the bishop feels that she is truly not accountable then he'll may want to consult with the stake president (who may want to consult his priesthood channels) but I think the result will be that the baptism will be considered unneeded and therefore won't be recorded.

Return to “Membership Help”