Removing email addresses from email broadcast list.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wilfredj

Removing email addresses from email broadcast list.

Post by wilfredj »

Members who have asked not to be contacted, still receive broadcasted emails. I have tried changing their privacy settings to leadership only, but their emails are still shown on email broadcast lists. I could , of course contact them and ask if they want to remove their email address but I was hoping for a less permanent solution.( we would actual still have all contact info on a spreadsheet we maintain). I am not sure if members who are not leaders can send broadcast emails, and if so, would the privacy restrictions remove the names?? I could test that? any other thoughts. .I understand , it is church policy not to alter member records or mark as DNC in any way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Removing email addresses from email broadcast list.

Post by russellhltn »

I think that setting is in the ldsaccount. (Subscription settings) I don't think leaders have access to that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wwoodford

Post by wwoodford »

I checked the Subscriptions in ldsaccounts. There is no option to opt out of messages from Send a Message
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't see anything labeled as such, but it seems strange if there is no opt out at all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

There is no way to opt out from Send a Message.
marjhan77

Post by marjhan77 »

Where is the policy that states we should not mark member records as DNC in any way. I understand not changing their name or address to have "DNC" in it, but is there another way to do it that doesn't alter the data?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marjhan77 wrote:Where is the policy that states we should not mark member records as DNC in any way.
It was a message sent out via MLS. You can read about it in this thread.

It should also be pointed out that DNC also goes against the spirit of Handbook 2: 5.3, first paragraph.

I think the general consensus is that it's acceptable to not assign them Ministers (or at least assign them to a special district assigned to the EQ or RS president). As well as setting their privacy settings in the directory to "private" to prevent accidental contact from other ward members. But any other notation that's visible on their record quickly gets into a gray area.

If the person no longer wishes to be a member, then the process is outlined in Handbook 1: 6.14.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

There is also guidance in 3 Nephi 18:30.
olsonle

Post by olsonle »

I think there's a difference between labeling a member as "DNC" and removing them from an email distribution. I just got a similar request from one sister that still comes to church, she just doesn't want to receive the emails. I suppose I could go in to LCR and just remove her email entirely, but that approach feels too similar to a "DNC" type of solution.

Can we make this a feature request? We could even have some kind of indicator that "such-and-such email has been suppressed from receiving this communication, click here to include."
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

olsonle wrote:Can we make this a feature request?
Sure, but this is a user-to-user forum and the developers rarely frequent these topics. If you will send your suggestion through Feedback, they will receive it for possible consideration.

Return to “Membership Help”