Page 1 of 1

Missing Record

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:44 pm
by PNMarkW2
We have a convert family, first the parents were baptized then a month or two later the father baptized two of his three children, the third being only 5 years old.

When I look at the parents record, and I look at the list of their children I see all three of their are listed, all with record numbers, and the two that are baptized have a confirmation dates.

But, if I look under Household Members, I only see the two who have been baptized, the 5-year old is nowhere to be seen. Likewise, if I look for her individual record I don't see her at all.

So, while I see that she is recorded as a child of the parents, and I can see she has a record number, as near as I can determine she's does not appear anywhere as a member of our ward.

My question is how best to resolve the situation so she will show up as a member of our ward and the family. My simple answer is to request her record, since she has a record number it should exist somewhere, and add her as a child member of the household once it arrives. Are there any better ideas out there?

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:45 pm
by aebrown
PNMarkW2 wrote:So, while I see that she is recorded as a child of the parents, and I can see she has a record number, as near as I can determine she's does not appear anywhere as a member of our ward.

My question is how best to resolve the situation so she will show up as a member of our ward and the family. My simple answer is to request her record, since she has a record number it should exist somewhere, and add her as a child member of the household once it arrives. Are there any better ideas out there?


I think you have already given the best answer. It's very simple to request a membership record for a child of a member of the ward -- you have the record number, full name, and date of birth. Request the record, and you it should arrive in just a few hours. I can't imagine any way that would be easier or better.

It's certainly curious that the record could have been created, but not be in your ward, but unless your request for the record fails somehow, I wouldn't worry about that.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:34 pm
by lajackson
PNMarkW2 wrote:When I look at the parents record, and I look at the list of their children I see all three of their are listed, all with record numbers, and the two that are baptized have a confirmation dates.

But, if I look under Household Members, I only see the two who have been baptized, the 5-year old is nowhere to be seen. Likewise, if I look for her individual record I don't see her at all.

. . . My simple answer is to request her record, since she has a record number it should exist somewhere, and add her as a child member of the household once it arrives. Are there any better ideas out there?


Since the child is under 8, there may not actually be a record. That may be an administrative number on the parent's record, since the child, as a convert, probably was never blessed.

I would request first, and if the answer comes back that this is an administrative number and not a record, then with the permission of the parents, I would create an actual record for the 5-year old.

Then, you will be all set.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:52 pm
by mfmohlma
lajackson wrote:I would request first, and if the answer comes back that this is an administrative number and not a record, then with the permission of the parents, I would create an actual record for the 5-year old.


While I realize that just the permission of the parents (and not a blessing) is necessary for the creation of a child record, perhaps in this case the OP could suggest to the bishop that a blessing would be in order. What better way to help the young child feel included, feel the Spirit, and get the parents permission all at once! :D

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:56 pm
by lajackson
oregonmatt wrote:While I realize that just the permission of the parents (and not a blessing) is necessary for the creation of a child record, perhaps in this case the OP could suggest to the bishop that a blessing would be in order. What better way to help the young child feel included, feel the Spirit, and get the parents permission all at once! :D


I have seen this done many times. It is an excellent idea.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:11 pm
by PNMarkW2
oregonmatt wrote:While I realize that just the permission of the parents (and not a blessing) is necessary for the creation of a child record, perhaps in this case the OP could suggest to the bishop that a blessing would be in order. What better way to help the young child feel included, feel the Spirit, and get the parents permission all at once! :D


A blessing has been discussed, but the father does not yet have the Melchizedek Priesthood, and the Bishop would rather wait on the father then bless the child without him. Best case at this point that won't happen before November (next chance for him to be sustained for advancement to Elder).

I've requested the record already, I'll report back what, if anything, we get.