Setting member as private with new directory/map

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mbatemantx

Setting member as private with new directory/map

Postby mbatemantx » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 am

Just ran into this issue as the ward clerk, I have several membership records that need to be set as private so they are not seen in member tools, directories etc except by leadership. I recall this was previously done in the directory. I don't see that option now with the combined map/directory. I do have edit capability in member tools, but after I make changes, save, watch the wheel spin and then finally sync, the changes are not saved. It looks like this function got missed in the move to the new directory.
Any assistance or insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

davesudweeks

Re: Setting member as private with new directory/map

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:37 am

I understand it can only be done in Member Tools now. The ability to change privacy settings is no longer available in the directory.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:30 pm

davesudweeks wrote:I understand it can only be done in Member Tools now. The ability to change privacy settings is no longer available in the directory.

It is still available for adult members of a household in the Ward Directory and Map, but not for leaders with membership edit rights. Leaders with membership edit rights must make the change(s) in Member Tools.

mbatemantx wrote:I do have edit capability in member tools, but after I make changes, save, watch the wheel spin and then finally sync, the changes are not saved. It looks like this function got missed in the move to the new directory.

This may be a server overload that is typical on Sundays. Try again on Monday.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:36 pm

jdlessley wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:I understand it can only be done in Member Tools now. The ability to change privacy settings is no longer available in the directory.

It is still available for adult members of a household in the Ward Directory and Map, but not for leaders with membership edit rights. Leaders with membership edit rights must make the change(s) in Member Tools.

The OP identified they were the clerk attempting to set privacy more restrictive for some members in their unit. That is why I suggested Member Tools was where they would do that.

cvhansen

Postby cvhansen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:33 pm

I have tried as a Branch Clerk to make a change through Tools.

It does not work -- just a circle that runs and says it is saving - in German since this is in Germany - but that might just be here it wont work - please check and PN me for further info

cvhansen

Postby cvhansen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Any thing new on this - it works on an android device - but not on IOS device

i am still open for an answer to what might be the problem.

mbatemantx

Postby mbatemantx » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Update:
It took several attempts to contact the correct owner of this issue. The results are that only members may now set their privacy level.
email response below.

Leaders no longer have the ability to edit the privacy settings for individuals. The individuals must do this for themselves, logging into their own Church Accounts. Some very good cases have been made to have certain leaders still be able to make these updates - such as the case you presented below. I have added this to the list of arguments. This process is under review, but for now only the individuals can make the updates. Thank you.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:07 pm

mbatemantx wrote: Leaders no longer have the ability to edit the privacy settings for individuals. The individuals must do this for themselves, logging into their own Church Accounts. Some very good cases have been made to have certain leaders still be able to make these updates - such as the case you presented below. I have added this to the list of arguments. This process is under review, but for now only the individuals can make the updates. Thank you.

Really? I just checked as a ward clerk and I can still change the privacy settings for members. I also just checked my personal Church Account and there is no way to change privacy (visibility) settings there. Are you referring to a change that is coming? Who or what office is the source of that information?

Please don't take these questions as challenging you or the voracity of your information. It is just a surprise this could be the direction this is headed and we have not had any advance information. I would expect this for the EU with their more restrictive privacy laws. But for the U.S. and possibly other countries this would not be expected.
JD Lessley

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:47 pm

jdlessley wrote:Really? I just checked as a ward clerk and I can still change the privacy settings for members.

In the directory/map or lcr? I don't think the directory allows clerks to change settings for other members.

jdlessley wrote:I also just checked my personal Church Account and there is no way to change privacy (visibility) settings there.

I have no special access, but I can change the privacy settings in the Directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:14 pm

russellhltn wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Really? I just checked as a ward clerk and I can still change the privacy settings for members.

In the directory/map or lcr? I don't think the directory allows clerks to change settings for other members.

Leaders have not been able to edit privacy settings in the online Directory and Map for quite a few months. Editing in privacy settings in LCR is not yet available. Only members 18 or older can do it in the online Directory and Map app for their household. Clerks and bishopric members can only use Member Tools to make the privacy edits.

russellhltn wrote:
jdlessley wrote:I also just checked my personal Church Account and there is no way to change privacy (visibility) settings there.

I have no special access, but I can change the privacy settings in the Directory.

Since the poster specifically mentioned the Church Account I went there to test the capability. The online Directory and Map app is different from the Church Account and I do not want to confuse the readers in assuming the two are the same.
JD Lessley

Return to “Membership Help”