Membership Records - Contact update process

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cchang

Membership Records - Contact update process

Post by cchang »

I've been seeing more member records that do not have current contact information such as email or cell phone numbers, etc. What have others done annually or audit process to make sure all member records have their current contact information updated? Do you update on an as needed basis as members contact you to update their information or do you have a process to print out each household member records and have them review and give back to you if there are any changes. I'm trying to see what is the best way to do a "mass" audit update of all member contact information and record information is kept up to date.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Membership Records - Contact update process

Post by russellhltn »

It is encouraged to have members review their membership records during Tithing Settlement. It would seem to me that would be the ideal time to have them review contact information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:It is encouraged to have members review their membership records during Tithing Settlement. It would seem to me that would be the ideal time to have them review contact information.
This is what I did when I was clerk. In addition, I printed the Ordinance Summary for new move-in families and asked them to verify everything was correct.
cchang

Post by cchang »

russellhltn wrote:It is encouraged to have members review their membership records during Tithing Settlement. It would seem to me that would be the ideal time to have them review contact information.
Not all members do their tithing settlements so it’s difficult to during this time. We encourage them but still get low sign ups.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cchang wrote:Not all members do their tithing settlements so it’s difficult to during this time. We encourage them but still get low sign ups.
True.

But short of doing a special effort, I don't think there's an easy way to do it.

People may not be comfortable with a sheet that's passed around in class. Especially if they've set their privacy to "leadership only". Unless you can get the Misters involved, I'd think you'd have to hunt them down one by one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jo.leach

Post by jo.leach »

I hope this topic isn't too old for someone to look at. I've got the same issue with a twist. It's probably been an issue since the Individual Phone Number field was added but I guess I've ignored it all these years? Anyway, I and others are getting frustrated by having to look up phone numbers every time a new Ministering Assignment list is printed for us.

On the Ministering Assignments reports, it only lists a phone number IF the person has entered their Individual Phone Number.

So, even if they have a Household Phone Number in the Directory, it is NOT listed on the report. Many people have a Household Phone Number in the Directory but they didn't updated their Individual Phone Number when that field was added. Some of our older folks don't have a cell phone. So why would they put their Household number in their Individual field?

It seems much more user-friendly to modify the report to display the Individual number WHEN it contains data OR the Household number when the Individual number is empty. ...just my thought - thanks for any input
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jo.leach wrote:I hope this topic isn't too old for someone to look at. I've got the same issue with a twist. It's probably been an issue since the Individual Phone Number field was added but I guess I've ignored it all these years? Anyway, I and others are getting frustrated by having to look up phone numbers every time a new Ministering Assignment list is printed for us.

On the Ministering Assignments reports, it only lists a phone number IF the person has entered their Individual Phone Number.

So, even if they have a Household Phone Number in the Directory, it is NOT listed on the report. Many people have a Household Phone Number in the Directory but they didn't updated their Individual Phone Number when that field was added. Some of our older folks don't have a cell phone. So why would they put their Household number in their Individual field?

It seems much more user-friendly to modify the report to display the Individual number WHEN it contains data OR the Household number when the Individual number is empty. ...just my thought - thanks for any input
Those who direct the programmer's priorities do not visit this user-to-user mutual help forum. This isn't a bad suggestion, but in order to get it submitted for consideration you should post it as feedback from the ministering page.
jo.leach

Post by jo.leach »

Thank you for responding! I will provide feedback on that page.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jo.leach wrote:I hope this topic isn't too old for someone to look at. I've got the same issue with a twist. It's probably been an issue since the Individual Phone Number field was added but I guess I've ignored it all these years? Anyway, I and others are getting frustrated by having to look up phone numbers every time a new Ministering Assignment list is printed for us.

It would take a little work for the clerk, but he could enter the household phone number in the individual phone number field for each adult in the household who doesn't have an individual phone number listed. This would fix your problem without anyone having to make coding changes to the report. I think members can update their individual phone number on their account so they can change it later if they want to. In our ward, it is not uncommon for one spouse to have their phone number listed in the household number field AND their individual phone number field since there is no land line to the home.

Return to “Membership Help”