Email to Someone No Longer in the Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Email to Someone No Longer in the Ward

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:52 am

lajackson wrote:Try asking the member to go to the main church website and sign in to the Calendar.

That works for calendar notifications. But this seems to be from LCR's send-a-message.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:29 am

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:Try asking the member to go to the main church website and sign in to the Calendar.

That works for calendar notifications. But this seems to be from LCR's send-a-message.

True, but I think somewhere deep down inside its electronic brain the computer thinks this member is still in the former ward.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:59 am

lajackson wrote:True, but I think somewhere deep down inside its electronic brain the computer thinks this member is still in the former ward.

Ok, but I'm pretty sure we're dealing with different computers, even if they both have a send message function. The calendar bug is long-standing. I don't think this kind of bug has come up in LCR - at least not as much.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:35 pm

It is a rather peculiar and interesting problem.

When I use the Send a Message function, I have to select the organization to which I'm sending, and then Select All to load the email addresses. In that process I can select individual email addresses, or I can select them all and then delete addresses to which I do not wish to send

I have not yet run across a case in this situation where the computer is sending to someone through Send a Message that I did not include as an addressee in the original message.

If this is a send to the entire ward type of message, I think the suggestion to prepare a message (but not send it) and then go through the addresses to see if this one is included is a worthwhile exercise.

I then I think the Global Service Department may need to get involved if someone extra is being added to the ward membership each time.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:01 pm

It might also be worth looking for similar emails.

For example, gmail ignores the period. So, first.last@gmail.com is the same as firstlast@gmail.com

Some domains are the same. For example somebody@aol.com and somebody@compuserve.com is the same.

So while technically their email may not be on the list, it might be close enough for the email system to route it to them.

Return to “Membership Help”