Move Records without Address but know ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chriswoodut

Re: Move Records without Address but know ward

Post by chriswoodut »

drepouille wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:The record should be where the family currently lives. If they're building a house in a new area, but not yet living there, I'd recommend keeping their record where it is (that doesn't stop them from visiting the future ward, of course).
Exactly right. I was placed in the same position a year or two ago. The family was building a home in Ward A, but were moving from my ward into a rental in Ward B until they could move into their new home. They asked me to move their records into the ward where their new home would be.

I told them that decision is up to the stake president, after counseling with the two bishops. Ward clerk will follow the president's direction.
If the situation is only 90 days for someone no longer living in our ward then we will hold onto records. This helps a lot with YSA kids that bounce around a bit. I don't know if the 90 day window is our stake's guidelines or HQ. We have a family right now that has sold their home in our ward and is waiting for their new home to be available so they are still attending our ward. The buffer seems to work for us. I'm guessing this is our stake's approach.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's a three-month rule for members who will be returning to the ward. I don't see such a thing for transient moves as part of a permanent departure.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Even with active members who move, I know that Bishops absolutely love it when the former ward contacts them! (in addition to moving the records). And even more so for any special circumstances like yours. I'd suggest even before moving the records, the current Bishop or Clerk going into CDL and looking for the new Bishop's (and new Clerk's) contact info. Then send an email or text to the new Bishop (and new Clerk) and the family parents, connecting them.

This not only helps for a situation where a specific address isn't known, but also helps avoid members slipping through the cracks unintentionally.

Return to “Membership Help”