Unrecorded 8 year-old baptism

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
fronimarc

Unrecorded 8 year-old baptism

Post by fronimarc »

Hello, I am a ward clerk in our ward and we recently have reviewed our list of households with part-member families. We found out that some of the identified part-member families claim that their children have been baptized when they were still 8 years old. However, according to LCR they are not yet baptized because they don't have records of their baptisms. Maybe these were not recorded by the previous ward clerks.

Now these children are 10-12 years old and our problem is that the parents or other members don't remember dates of baptism and/or who performed baptism and confirmation for these children. Referring to the handbook on 38.2.1.10, since the ordinance is not verified, it must be performed again.

However, my question is that, since they are now over 8 years old (which now falls under convert baptism age), do they have to be taught by missionaries and follow the same process for convert baptisms before their rebaptism or do we just need to perform the rebaptism?
davesudweeks

Re: Unrecorded 8 year-old baptism

Post by davesudweeks »

I recommend that if your bishop has questions on how to handle this specific situation, he should counsel with the Stake President. They could also counsel with the Mission President and their regional leadership if needed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unrecorded 8 year-old baptism

Post by russellhltn »

Since we're only talking about the last 2-4 years, it seems a little surprising that the ward leadership has no memory of this.

I'd also attempt a "move in" of the children on the off chance they were recorded but never where linked up for some reason.

But I agree with davesudweeks that this is something the leadership and mission president needs to discuss among themselves.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”