Mel. Priesthood Ordination before 18 years old

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rybrowne

Mel. Priesthood Ordination before 18 years old

Postby rybrowne » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:04 am

I'm a newly called Stake Clerk, and I am trying to record the ordination for conferral of the Mel. Priesthood. As it happens, the young man received the Mel. Priesthood and went to the temple a week before he turned 18. In LCR, it states that I need to submit a letter to the First Presidency explaining the circumstances and asking that the ordination be recorded and ratified. Does anyone have information regarding how I would go about doing this?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Mel. Priesthood Ordination before 18 years old

Postby lajackson » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:33 am

rybrowne wrote:In LCR, it states that I need to submit a letter to the First Presidency explaining the circumstances and asking that the ordination be recorded and ratified.
Ask your stake president to write a letter to the First Presidency on ward letterhead and provide the information requested. Ideally, the stake president would have made the ordination and endowment request beforehand. In fact, there must have been something, or the temple should not have performed the ordinances.

So there may have been a request beforehand, and the stake president now just needs to provide a letter requesting ratification and membership record update. He could refer to the original approval if he has that information, but it is not required.

BrianEdwards

Re: Mel. Priesthood Ordination before 18 years old

Postby BrianEdwards » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:30 pm

I'd also ensure that whatever led to this occurring, is properly resolved. Both the Stake President and Bishop should be aware of this policy (must be 18 prior to Melch Priesthood and Temple), but perhaps they didn't know this was a fixed rule. Or perhaps they didn't think to verify the birthdate prior to the ordination and subsequent temple ordinances. Stake (and ward) clerks are really helpful to Stake (and ward) leaders when you follow up with things like this!

Return to “Membership Help”