Priesthood ordinations not recorded. What now?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

pze wrote:A member went through the temple, but the MP ordination was not recorded beforehand. Once I looked further into it, I found out that he was sustained in stake conference, but the ordination never occurred. Now he received MP, but he has already been through the temple a month before.

What now is that ok to stay with a MP date after his endowment date?
Generally, ordinances received out of sequence are not valid. There are exceptions. Church Handbook of Instructions, page 31, explains this and also what to do when a record has not been updated for an ordinance that has been performed, as was asked earlier in this thread.
hooson

Post by hooson »

pze wrote:Once I looked further into it, I found out that he was sustained in stake conference, but the ordination never occurred.
Were you able to confirm that the ordination definitely didn't take place, as opposed to having happened but not being recorded?

Worth making 100% sure if you're not already: it could be easier to add an unrecorded ordination to a member's record than to have to ratify an endowment which took place before the member received the Melchizedek Priesthood. The first of these is dealt with locally, whereas the latter process goes all the way to the First Presidency.
Hyde Park Ward
London England Hyde Park Stake
Stake Clerk
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

pze wrote:What now is that ok to stay with a MP date after his endowment date?
Sounds like there needs to be a call to CHQ for clarification of how to proceed.
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

oh8clerk wrote:If no witnesses can be tracked down, and no record exists in church headquarters, then do we simply redo the ordinations?
According to the CHI, Page 31, that's basically the only options. Witnesses, evidence or do it again.
Not much clarification needed, if you call CHQ, they'll refer you the the CHI, don't ask how I know.
pzells

Post by pzells »

To answer my own question.

If the MP ordination was after the endowment date, then First Presidency approval is necessary to stay as it is. Not a fun process...for the stake presidency that is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Trust me, the First Presidency has heard worse...
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pze wrote:To answer my own question.

If the MP ordination was after the endowment date, then First Presidency approval is necessary to stay as it is. Not a fun process...for the stake presidency that is.

Yes, in this instance the First Presidency must ratify the ordinance(s).

So the stake president has to write a letter. It is not complicated. The bishop, with his clerk(s) gathers the information. The stake president writes the letter. The First Presidency returns their response.

This will not be the first time this type of request has been made.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

This is in reply to the first question of the thread, Priesthood ordinations not recorded. What now? (not the second question, of possible "out of sequence" ordinations and needed "ratification")

Your bishopric should first study CHI Book 1, chapter 5, page 31, "Ordinances for which there is no valid record" as stated earlier, and then:
techgy wrote:I'd start by searching the records of the ward he was part of in 2006.
If nothing shows up and a search of CHQ records shows nothing, then find out who was in attendance at the ordinations. From the testimony of 2 or more others you can usually get a date and proceed in creating the record.
Part of your solution may be to look up his previous leaders to find witnesses...

If you attempt this, find the ward he attended during the time in question, (by his membership record?) then use CDOL (if you are ward clerk or bishop) to lookup this ward, and it will give both the present bishop's name and contact info, and under the "historical" tab, previous bishops and the dates they served. Then make the call to the current bishop, explain and ask if he knows, then ask about the previous bishop that served then, and see if he is still around.

2006 isn't that far away, and people in leadership at the time should remember...bishops, clerks, EQ presidents, HP group leaders, etc.

This thread really shows the importance of clerks magnifying their callings! Things can get really messed up...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kisaac wrote: Part of your solution may be to look up his previous leaders to find witnesses...

Your suggestion is excellent, but keep in mind that historical information only shows up for the stake in which you are currently living.

If you are looking up a former leader in another stake, go ahead and use CDOL, but consider the added step that you will need to contact the current bishop and ask who was serving at the time in question.

I am sure they will still be willing to assist, but it does add another step to the process.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

For those of you who don't read paper any more (I abhor paper and I avoid it when I can), the section that is being referred to in the Church Handbook of Instruction is:

Book 1, Section 16.1.10.

Note that if a record was recorded prior to 1984 and you need to get a Request for Ordinance form, you need to request it from the Online Store and you will get sent a packet of about 25. You will use one and can put the rest in your filing cabinet to be destroyed in another 20 years when they haven't been used.
Jason Hyer

Return to “Membership Help”