Anti-Virus Updates for computers w/ Internet access

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Following the PHD broadcast this evening I had a brief discussion with our stake presidency and our stake is proceeding with the installation of wireless internet for the administrative computers. It will probably take a few weeks to gather all the hardware and get it completed.

In the meantime it would be nice to pin this update SAV update process down. Is this subject being address by HQ. It's not difficult to visit each building and perform the updates manually, but after the facilities go on-line it will be important to do it more frequently than once every 2-3 months.
leeallenwhiting

Post by leeallenwhiting »

Any news on this? All of my clerk PC's are in buildings using a CCN and are hardwired into the Cisco 501 PIX's. My SAV DAT's on those PC's are 1~2 years old and basically worthless. I have manually installed the latest x86 Client patch but I am not sure it is working as the DAT date doesn't change.

Thanks,
Lee
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

LAWhiting wrote:Any news on this? All of my clerk PC's are in buildings using a CCN and are hardwired into the Cisco 501 PIX's. My SAV DAT's on those PC's are 1~2 years old and basically worthless. I have manually installed the latest x86 Client patch but I am not sure it is working as the DAT date doesn't change.
Techgy wrote:In the meantime it would be nice to pin this update SAV update process down. Is this subject being address by HQ. It's not difficult to visit each building and perform the updates manually, but after the facilities go on-line it will be important to do it more frequently than once every 2-3 months.
There is no change in the status; it is still on hold. The issue has not been dropped by the Church developers working on this, but there are technical challenges. So the current policy of manually updating the SAV data files at least quarterly is still in place for all administrative computers.

I download and run the SAV data file update regularly for all the administrative computers in my stake, and have never seen a case where they do not update.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

LAWhiting wrote:Any news on this? All of my clerk PC's are in buildings using a CCN and are hardwired into the Cisco 501 PIX's. My SAV DAT's on those PC's are 1~2 years old and basically worthless. I have manually installed the latest x86 Client patch but I am not sure it is working as the DAT date doesn't change.
Have you rebooted the computer and rechecked the date? The date did not change on computers I installed the update until after a reboot.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jeff_nordin-p40

Post by jeff_nordin-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:There is no change in the status; it is still on hold. The issue has not been dropped by the Church developers working on this, but there are technical challenges. So the current policy of manually updating the SAV data files at least quarterly is still in place for all administrative computers.
It has been over 3 months since the last update on this thread. Has there been any progress made by Church developers on this? Is it possible to get a status update, please?
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

jeff_nordin wrote:It has been over 3 months since the last update on this thread. Has there been any progress made by Church developers on this? Is it possible to get a status update, please?

It has been another month and change -- any updates on this very important issue? Several are waiting.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MRK wrote:It has been another month and change -- any updates on this very important issue? Several are waiting.

When I get an update, you can be certain that I will post it.

Untill then, please follow policy and continue to update the virus definitions manually at least quarterly.
kcushing-p40

Domain?

Post by kcushing-p40 »

I guess the 10 day limit explains why only some of my clerk computers are up to date.

Since we can only get to Church web sites through the VPN to Church Headquarters, I download the NAV updates at home and go around and install them on the clerk machines that are not up to date. (Not a big deal though) I will now also do this with IE8 because the Church internet application for disiplinary actions requires a newer version of Internet Explorer.

Where I work, we have a server that downloads all MS updates and pushes them to all the computers. Does the Church have something similar? Do I need to put the machines on a domain at Church Headquarters?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kcushing wrote:Since we can only get to Church web sites through the VPN to Church Headquarters...
Actually any computer using the CCN or a locally installed broadband connection can access the Church websites. The VPN for the firewalls is set up for headquarters to connect to the local network. That connectivity is not open to connection to headquarters initiated from the local network.

There are two ways to get the latest updates for SAV. The first is to access the MLS software sitewhich requires a username and password. The stake STS has this information. Alternatively you can get those updates directly from the Symantec update site. The file to download is the one in format yyyymmdd-008-x86.exe
kcushing wrote:Where I work, we have a server that downloads all MS updates and pushes them to all the computers. Does the Church have something similar?
Yes. However that has not be fully set up for remote administrative computers. The Church uses the LANDesk Manager in FHCs and at Church headquarters. LANDesk is installed on Desktop 5.5 but is not currently in use.
kcushing wrote:Do I need to put the machines on a domain at Church Headquarters?
This is not possible at this time.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kcushing-p40

Clarification

Post by kcushing-p40 »

kcushing wrote:Since we can only get to Church web sites through the VPN to Church Headquarters....
jdlessley wrote:Actually any computer using the CCN or a locally installed broadband connection can access the Church websites. The VPN for the firewalls is set up for headquarters to connect to the local network. That connectivity is not open to connection to headquarters initiated from the local network.

Sorry, I worded the first part poorly. I meant to say that the only web sites we can get to are church web sites.
jdlessley wrote:There are two ways to get the latest updates for SAV. The first is to access the MLS software sitewhich requires a username and password. The stake STS has this information. Alternatively you can get those updates directly from the Symantec update site. The file to download is the one in format yyyymmdd-008-x86.exe

Good, I guess that means the latest virus definitions are on a church web site where I can easily get to them, and I won't have to get them at home.

Thanks

Return to “Clerk Computers”