New Remote Management Software & Sophos installation

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Yes, you can download the installer from the MLS site and do it yourself; then you don't have to worry about it happening at an inopportune time.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

It took about 20 minutes for TEM to install on some older XP machines (about 2004 or before) at my FHC. An icon would appear on the system tray initially once that happened, but would not be visible again after you restarted the computer the next time we were in.

Back to the question about updates, are we going to see better handling of the updating of Flash, Adobe Reader, and Java as well? They always pop on our FHC machines at different times, so the updates will not all install on the same night, but over anywhere from a couple days to a week apart as a result for some reason.

Also the Sophos glitch involving two Microsoft KBs on XP machines, (there's a separate thread here on that), it would help if a fix could be deployed via TEM as well, now that we have it.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

craiggsmith wrote:Yes, you can download the installer from the MLS site and do it yourself; then you don't have to worry about it happening at an inopportune time.

Hi Craig,

The reason for asking was that I haven't actually seen anything official about its deployment.

Do I need to remove Landesk first, or just deploy and let TEM do the rest? I had already downloaded it before my posting my question. was just waiting for clarification about installation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:It took about 20 minutes for TEM to install on some older XP machines (about 2004 or before) at my FHC.

Has Family History department pushed out their version of TEM? I would NOT install anything from mls.lds.org onto a FHC computer. Clerk computers and FHC computers are managed by different IT departments within the church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:Has Family History department pushed out their version of TEM? I would NOT install anything from mls.lds.org onto a FHC computer. Clerk computers and FHC computers are managed by different IT departments within the church.
For me I treat the FHC as a completely different entity, which as RussellHltn quite rightly pointed out is managed by a completely different department. I haven't seen anything pertaining to TEM mentioned in FHC circles.

I did see the Tech broadcast that first mentioned TEM, but to me it was unclear whether we could/should deploy it, or wait for the automatic roll out.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

The Optiplex 780 in our official FHC has had TEM on it since the beginning of the month (running W7).

I wonder how this TEM will work with the FHC PC's that have deep-freeze running on them?
Roland
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Apparently, as far as that FHC goes, TEM deployed automatically one night in early May, didn't touch a thing, as indicated the icon appeared in the system tray, indicating something had happened. That's when I went and looked it up on Youtube after I got home that night as none of us there that night had any idea what it was that appeared to self-install on its own.

The next night and since, we've never seen the Tivoli icon, just Sophos, maybe the Adobe 'update ready' and Java 'update ready' icons in the system tray. Haven't checked any of the program file listings to see if it is in there or not, or even still.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Biggles wrote:Hi Craig,

The reason for asking was that I haven't actually seen anything official about its deployment.

Do I need to remove Landesk first, or just deploy and let TEM do the rest? I had already downloaded it before my posting my question. was just waiting for clarification about installation.
I can't reply authoritatively; maybe Brian Fromm who did the broadcast will chime in. But my understanding was that we could do it proactively. I don't think they'd put it on the MLS site otherwise. But maybe that's why I'm getting a TEM update error on one of my machines.

I went ahead and removed LanDesk myself, as from the broadcast it didn't sound like it was needed anymore. But again, I don't know if that's necessary.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

craiggsmith wrote:I can't reply authoritatively; maybe Brian Fromm who did the broadcast will chime in. But my understanding was that we could do it proactively. I don't think they'd put it on the MLS site otherwise. But maybe that's why I'm getting a TEM update error on one of my machines.

I went ahead and removed LanDesk myself, as from the broadcast it didn't sound like it was needed anymore. But again, I don't know if that's necessary.
Thanks, I'll probably go ahead later next week, unless requested to hold back.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

We would love to have you install TEM on your MLS machines if they don't already have it. You can check if it's there by looking for the "BES Client" service. A different group manages the family history machines, so don't manually install TEM on them. I know that some sites have it installed and other don't yet. We'll let the family history group push it out when they're ready.

TEM does have the ability to deliver software. We will likely start using it soon to make sure Sophos is installed. We could use it for other things like making sure MLS is up-to-date, making applications available to self-install, etc. We are testing different scenarios to see if we want to use it. We just want to make sure we are adding value and not interfering with any work that you will be doing. We want it to be a seamless experience.

In terms of TeamViewer, I spoke with the company a couple of months ago, and they specifically said that we are NOT allowed to use the free version on our clerk machines. They said that the free version is "strictly for friends and family only (personal home to personal home)." If you have the free version installed, you need to remove it as soon as possible since it's violating the EULA.

One of our goals is to provide solutions that don't require physical access to the clerk machine. For example, people used to ask for remote access so they could install updates without having to go to the church. Now that we have TEM, you no longer need to worry about patching machines! Another request for remote access was to edit membership records. This functionality has now been added to LDS.org. Working with home and visiting teaching is a feature people want to do from home, and we are working to get it added to LDS.org. This is where your feedback is so valuable. Remote access may be something we need to provide someday, but there may be other ways to accomplish the same thing that will benefit more people. Feel free to send feedback to mhifeedback@ldschurch.org.

Return to “Clerk Computers”