TEM Update Failed

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

TEM Update Failed

Post by craiggsmith »

I set up a new computer tonight and a TEM update showed up under Windows updates but it failed. I tried twice, with a restart in between. Anyone else experiencing this?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I recently got a new ward clerk computer (Windows 7) in my ward and I'm seeing the same problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Does TEM need to be installed initially before it can be updated? Perhaps the update expects to find an existing installation, and is hitting the computer before the initial install is completed, if it was even done at all.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Thanks for letting us know about this. We're looking into it to see what's going on. It's failing since TEM is already installed. What it *should* do is realize TEM is already there and not even try to install it via Windows Update. I'll let you know what we find!
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I'll venture an uneducated guess, I'm wondering if it is trying to update at the SAME time another software update is happening.

Usually when you boot up, at least for those of us on LANDesk, we only see that Sophos will update on startup, then Windows will load its updates, usually that happens only on or just after 'Patch Tuesday'.

Adobe and Java usually hold their updates for other days not close to Patch Tuesday. Those don't come until later in the same day the computer is turned on during when they do push those out, but again they avoid the big Microsoft update days.

My best guess is that one update is conflicting with the others, and that is what caused TEM to fail with its updates. I'm thinking based on observation of Sophos and Microsoft is that 1. Sophos updates on startup, but can be force-update if for some reason it fails to do so. 2. Microsoft sends its updates after that, usually takes a half hour before that is ready to update. 3. If a PC was not on during the time the Microsoft updates came, and an Adobe, Java, or other update came through, that will also happen sometime after the box was booted up.

I would think that TEM's packet shaping functionality could help on the updating so that it could detect what was coming through and allow it to do so, although shaping the packets so they would not interfere with what we were interacting with and through online.

And maybe having some kind of alert system where we would know that there was an uninstalled update due to some kind of failure, so we'd know to go and force that through. Or simply having a force-update feature like everything else has in case something fails during automated updates.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

bfromm wrote:Thanks for letting us know about this. We're looking into it to see what's going on. It's failing since TEM is already installed. What it *should* do is realize TEM is already there and not even try to install it via Windows Update. I'll let you know what we find!
Any progress on this? Windows Update has been trying (and failing) to install Tivoli Endpoint Manager Client 2 during every system shutdown of my ward clerk computer since 13-Jun-2012.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

rontilby wrote: Windows Update has been trying (and failing) to install Tivoli Endpoint Manager Client 2 .
All the clerk computers in our stake have the same update that stays failed.
Roland
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

While FHCs are not involved with TEM yet, my FHC we are seing failures of Sophos to update, even forcing the update gives a 'cannot contact server' or 'unable to contact server' error.

It may have to do with some possible patches for Sophos v10, but it does not seem to affect the download of Package 2 (of 4) which is the latest AV definitions package update Sophos grabsb on startup. Forcing the update again doesn't solve the issue either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:While FHCs are not involved with TEM yet,

Actually, they are. LanDesk is on the way out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If the Windows Update is giving you fits, you might uninstall TEM and then let the Windows update install. If that doesn't work, you can always download TEM again and install it manually.

Return to “Clerk Computers”