Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
gregcamie

Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by gregcamie »

I think April is when Microsoft is going to discontinue security updates for Win XP. I have two computers that are not scheduled to be upgraded for a couple more years that are still running Win XP. Does anyone have any info/insight into this situation?
Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to look at the licensing stickers on those machines. If you have 2 years left, I'd expect to see at least Vista if not Win7 licenses. You might even have the factory DVDs to install it.

I'm not sure as the church has made up it's mind about what to do. You'll have to contact the proper area (Local unit support for admin computers, or FamilySearch for FHC computers.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cameronporter89
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by cameronporter89 »

The jury is still out on what to do, but progress is being made and they understand the urgency of the situation. At the moment, the factor being evaluated is the security risks of each of the proposed solutions. Once a solution has been decided upon, it will be communicated.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I can't speak for administrative computers, but there is a Windows 7 image DVD available for FHC computers. Licenses and product keys cost the stake $71.60 each, payable to the Corporation of the President.
But as Russell says, if you have a computer running Windows XP, but with a Windows 7 product key on a hologram label, all you have to do is install Windows 7. Keep in mind that you still need to pay for a license and product key if you want to install Windows 7 Professional and the product key on the computer is for Windows 7 Home or Business.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Keep in mind that you still need to pay for a license and product key if you want to install Windows 7 Professional and the product key on the computer is for Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, or Home Premium.
Fixed it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Thanks for that, Russell. I was too lazy to go look it up.

I have four Dell Optiplex 740 computers with a Windows XP Professional product key, and 11 Optiplex 740 computers with Windows Vista Business product keys. Three of the XP machines are in the stake FHC, and can be upgraded to Windows 7. The other 12 machines are administrative computers, due to be replaced in 2015, so I can't justify spending money on Windows 7 licenses for them. Not sure if I want to upgrade them to Vista Business either.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drepouille wrote:I have four Dell Optiplex 740 computers with a Windows XP Professional product key, and 11 Optiplex 740 computers with Windows Vista Business product keys. Three of the XP machines are in the stake FHC, and can be upgraded to Windows 7. The other 12 machines are administrative computers, due to be replaced in 2015, so I can't justify spending money on Windows 7 licenses for them. Not sure if I want to upgrade them to Vista Business either.
If you don't have a Windows 7 COA/product key, don't purchase an upgrade to Windows 7. You will get instructions from Headquarters on how to deal with those machines once the internal process is completed.

If you have a proper Windows 7 COA, you could upgrade to Windows 7, but I would still recommend waiting.
sphester

Post by sphester »

I too am interested in this topic.

I have 7 Local unit computers that were due for replacement in 2013 (bought Oct 2007). Interestingly when I enquired with the FM group at the end of 2012 I was told they would all be replaced in 2013.

The end of 2013 came and no replacements or communication. Then we checked this week and the FM group has told us that the 5 year replacement cycle has changed quote from the FM group.

"Recently we have received a policy change which says we no longer replace ward computers unless they are broken and beyond repair. Therefore we have not included any computers for Preston Stake in our annual plan."

First this this policy change official? and why was it not communicated to all stake techs? and Where can I find a copy of this new policy?

Second I now have the same issue several PC that are running on XP with no support post April and they all have windows XP licence stickers so no chance of an upgrade with out buying full licences.

All in all I feel very annoyed as I was told the computer were covered the 2013 annual budget plan then no computer arrive and now they can;t swap them. Leaving 6 year old computers in place is just going to cause longer term support issues. Feel the FM just change there mind when it suite them and get no effective communication from them.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sphester wrote:I too am interested in this topic.

I have 7 Local unit computers that were due for replacement in 2013 (bought Oct 2007). Interestingly when I enquired with the FM group at the end of 2012 I was told they would all be replaced in 2013.

The end of 2013 came and no replacements or communication. Then we checked this week and the FM group has told us that the 5 year replacement cycle has changed quote from the FM group.

"Recently we have received a policy change which says we no longer replace ward computers unless they are broken and beyond repair. Therefore we have not included any computers for Preston Stake in our annual plan."

First this this policy change official? and why was it not communicated to all stake techs? and Where can I find a copy of this new policy?
The RKATS site still says that the current policy is replacement after 5 years (although it does have a caveat regarding FM budgets). If that has changed it would be nice if the documentation was updated at very least.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Agreed on the document update but it's update date is Dec 2013 they did change it that quick. Working with the fm group is just so frustrating. I will challenge them now and see what they say.

Return to “Clerk Computers”