Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by scgallafent »

sphester wrote:Second I now have the same issue several PC that are running on XP with no support post April and they all have windows XP licence stickers so no chance of an upgrade with out buying full licences.
Church headquarters is aware of this issue and there are people working on how to handle this transition. I don't know exactly where they're at in the process, but I do know they're working on it and have an idea of what they're heading toward since it will affect my team (MLS). It's not my place to say what or when, so I won't.

I realize that a lot of people want answers now, but there aren't answers now. Don't go buy new licenses -- hold tight and let that team finish its work.
sphester

Post by sphester »

What I'm concerned about is why my fm groups consitantly tells me stuff that is contrary to whats on official web site for stake tech's. I'm not paid to do my job the fm group are and sorry but I expect them to do it well and right and when it comes to IT all I see is a big mess and them never getting it right.

If the replacement cycle is 5 year why are the fm group saying it has changed seems to me it's to cover up the fact they have made some mistake it allowing budget for our stake mls computer replacements

I will wait and see what they say about the licence option but it still leaves me putting Windows 7 on a 6 year old computer all I can see is big problems with drivers etc

I side note how does one escalate complaints or issues past the local fm manager. Ie someone senior say at an area or world wide level.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sphester wrote:What I'm concerned about is why my fm groups consitantly tells me stuff that is contrary to whats on official web site for stake tech's. . . .

I side note how does one escalate complaints or issues past the local fm manager. Ie someone senior say at an area or world wide level.
These are two topics that would each belong in another individual thread, per the Code of Conduct.

In the meantime, I am most grateful for what scgallafent has posted. Without saying anything (and I presume he is not a liberty to say much at all), he has still given us significant guidance that those here with experience will understand how to work with.

My unofficial translation for those who may be new to the Forum, be patient a while longer -- the answer is coming.

In the meantime, I suspect that XP will continue boot up just fine as long as necessary whether or not anyone is officially supporting it.
rrperkin

Post by rrperkin »

Yup, I'm sure it'll boot just fine. Until Microsoft's next security bulletin publishes exactly how to exploit the next security hole in XP.

It won't matter then whether or not we want answers; we have about two weeks to get them before prudence will require that we propose upgrade plans to Stake leaders to avoid this risk. We will need the month of March to do the work required for whichever plan is published.

They need to tell us what's going on, very soon. Microsoft's end-of-support notice is almost four years old at this point. It's a little distressing to not have a plan at this very late date.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rrperkin wrote:It won't matter then whether or not we want answers; we have about two weeks to get them before prudence will require that we propose upgrade plans to Stake leaders to avoid this risk.
I do not believe there is a need to propose upgrade plans to stake leaders. These are Church computers, and the Church will let us know what they wish us to do once they make the decision.
phodge

Post by phodge »

Another thing to consider is Internet Explorer. Some lds.org functionality (Calendar, for example) is unavailable with the highest version of IE allowed by XP. So, even beyond security, there are reasons we need to move to Windows 7. Our machine will not support Windows 7.
rrperkin

Post by rrperkin »

lajackson wrote:I do not believe there is a need to propose upgrade plans to stake leaders. These are Church computers, and the Church will let us know what they wish us to do once they make the decision.
Too late for that, but, the proposal and cost estimates went in with the proviso that we know the Presiding Bishop's people are formulating something, and we'll be watching the tech security press and thinking about vulnerabilities as they grow, without a need to take action. You're probably correct that there won't be anything "zero-day" to panic about and that was part of the proposal as well.

Still and all, a timetable from HQ of *some* kind would ease minds here.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rrperkin wrote:Still and all, a timetable from HQ of *some* kind would ease minds here.
I agree 100%. I have never seen one in all my years, but I agree 100%.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to be aware of the new Meetinghouse Technology Policy that's come out.
4.1.3 Local Unit Provided Equipment: Local unit budgets cannot be used to purchase computers (Handbook 1: Administering the Church, 14.7.2). Exceptions to this can be made under the direction of stake presidents in the case of webcasting (see section 7). The costs for repairing, upgrading, and replacing any equipment not provided as part of new building construction or by the FM group are the responsibility of the local unit.
I personally can't advocate for spending money on a OS upgrade for a old machine.

The HB1 cite shows that computers are paid for out of the General fund, not budget funds.

Yes, CHQ isn't moving as fast as we'd like, but if there's a problem, the sin be upon the heads of CHQ, not us.

You might also look at the time table. I haven't gotten a clear reading, but It think April will be the last update, not the first "missing" update. The hackers might unleash zero-day exploits around that time knowing they won't be patched, but those who use the update to find holes to exploit in unpatched machines are going to have to wait until May.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
erikwhughes
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erikwhughes »

The ICS End-User Productivity team has made the recommendation to Facilities Management to replace XP machines with a Windows 7 compatible machine with the Church-provided Windows 7 image.

Clerks and STS's need to contact their respective Facilities Manager (Facilities Management ultimately owns the budget and process for meetinghouse computers) to inquire about replacement or upgrades. While Facilities Management can best comment on this, I know they are instructed to use any new machines not currently deployed as well as they are accelerating the use of their 2014 budget for replacements.

If a current meetinghouse PC is not scheduled for replacement, but does have a Windows 7 sticker on it AND is one of the following models, it can be upgraded with the Church image provided by meetinghouse support.
Dell OptiPlex 580
Dell OptiPlex 7010
Lenovo M77
Lenovo M78
HP 6305

Return to “Clerk Computers”