Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:One has to debate the purpose of upgrading. Sure, it's nice to have the latest, but if everyone is comfortable with 7, why change? Seems like a invite to more trouble.
Yup, and I won't install Windows 10 unless I can also disable Cortina and install Classic Shell. That way it will have the "look and feel" of Windows 7 and I won't have to retrain everyone that uses it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

You can certainly hide Cortana in the production (Subjective term) released versions, but until we see the Church deployed version of W10, it will be pure speculation on our part until then. I would hope that Cortana is disabled by default.

I will ask the clerks in my Stake, whether they will be happy with the native W10 interface. If not, I will also install Classic Shell as my interface of choice!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, I've set up the stake computer to stay on. We'll see what shows up. Win10 wasn't one of the offerings of IBM.

One of the things I'm wondering about is if I'll have to disable RDP and administrative sharing again, or will it come pre-configured for better security.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

My Clerk computer has been running for 24 hours now, but no obvious changes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm beginning to think that the Help Center article was premature in the sense that it hadn't been put into the IBM system yet. There's no indication as to how long it takes before the offer is offered.

But with the FHC, it's usually pretty quick. The download isn't until after you accept the offer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

"Hey, Cortana – open MLS."
"Cortana, record a donation for Brother Smith, Tithing, $10, Fast Offering, $10."
"Cortana, print a check out of the young men budget for Brother Jones."
Sounds fun! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I see the Help Centre instructions have been updated. More details on how to proceed.

https://www.lds.org/help/support/win10-upgrade?lang=eng
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was able to access that Help Center article without signing in. That means the standard, default password is exposed to the Internet.

That's not a problem for my stake, because when I installed the new computers, I asked each bishopric to change the password of the Clerk account to something only they knew. I had created another Stake account using a password only known to the stake presidency, so we also had access to all computers.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Rumor has it that there is an issue with Sophos breaking when you upgrade to Windows 10
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pete.arnett wrote:Rumor has it that there is an issue with Sophos breaking when you upgrade to Windows 10
That wouldn't surprise me. It's one thing to install it on Windows 10, quite another for it to be running on 7 and suddenly have the OS changed right under it.

Return to “Clerk Computers”