SSID Changing?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 9038
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby lajackson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:32 pm

EarloftheWest wrote:
lajackson wrote:I have a much better password, however, than the one proposed. Easier to remember. Harder to type.

Or, you could change the password to fit the one the Church is using. Then, all your church friends that come over will automatically be able to connect to your WiFi.

They already do that. This will really confuse all of them.

At least when I choose a new network name they will not have to figure out how to spell it. It will just show up in their WiFi list and I will tell them to use the old password. But it will not make as much sense. And my neighbors will drive by the church and wonder if I have moved.

EarloftheWest
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby EarloftheWest » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 pm

lajackson wrote:
EarloftheWest wrote:
lajackson wrote:I have a much better password, however, than the one proposed. Easier to remember. Harder to type.

Or, you could change the password to fit the one the Church is using. Then, all your church friends that come over will automatically be able to connect to your WiFi.

They already do that. This will really confuse all of them.

At least when I choose a new network name they will not have to figure out how to spell it. It will just show up in their WiFi list and I will tell them to use the old password. But it will not make as much sense. And my neighbors will drive by the church and wonder if I have moved.


:)

ccanlas3
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby ccanlas3 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:48 pm

We are currently testing, as well as doing some early deployment for our Church wireless network. There will be more information and instruction to follow.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 27570
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm

ccanlas3 wrote:There will be more information and instruction to follow.

Just hit my inbox. It sounds like "Liahona" is available now, "LDSAccess" will continue until April 15 to provide transition.

There's a new password for "Liahona". Also, a "Terms of Use" which must be agreed to each day.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 9038
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby lajackson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 pm

The Notice says there is additional information for the STS, but I did not find anything new at the location specified.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 27570
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:20 pm

lajackson wrote:The Notice says there is additional information for the STS, but I did not find anything new at the location specified.


That link it just to a section of the Help Center. I didn't see anything new.

But re-reading the letter, I noticed this:
Users need to enter the password only once in their device settings, but the Terms of Use must be accepted once each day a user accesses the network. This agreement helps manage available bandwidth by reminding users of the network’s intended purpose and by preventing unintentional use by devices performing automatic functions (such as updates) when connected to wi-fi upon entry to a Church building.

That should help buildings with limited bandwidth. Fortunately for me, I no longer have buildings that fit that description.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 9038
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby lajackson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm

I am a little surprised at the lengthy overlap. A few months ago my daughter's meetinghouse saw Liahona one Sunday along with LDSAccess, and the next Sunday LDSAccess was gone.

The Terms of Use acceptance must not be too onerous, because she has said nothing about it. As STS, I expect I will hear comments. One more thing to do upon arrival at Church each time. But I am good with the explanation.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 27570
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:58 pm

lajackson wrote:I am a little surprised at the lengthy overlap. A few months ago my daughter's meetinghouse saw Liahona one Sunday along with LDSAccess, and the next Sunday LDSAccess was gone.

I'm guessing they got an earful on that and decided to increase the overlap. I notice that it takes place just after the April General Conference "freeze".

lajackson wrote:The Terms of Use acceptance must not be too onerous, because she has said nothing about it.

I'm sure if you use public WiFi, you're used to it. I know about it when staying in hotel rooms.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3752
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby Mikerowaved » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 am

lajackson wrote:The Terms of Use acceptance must not be too onerous, because she has said nothing about it.

I'd be shocked if more than 1% even reads it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 9038
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: SSID Changing?

Postby lajackson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:33 am

Mikerowaved wrote:I'd be shocked if more than 1% even reads it.

I drove by the meetinghouse while I was out and about last evening. It is a two pager. You have to scroll down to get to the accept button. But the font size is quite large.

I expect that after a few weeks the members will all have an idea what it says.


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest