Phone keeps disconnecting from wifi

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Phone keeps disconnecting from wifi

Postby craiggsmith » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 am

My iPhone 7 phone keeps disconnecting from the network. I accepted the terms of use page and use it for a bit but it only stays connected for a few minutes. I am usually wandering around, maybe it's not handing off between access points?

On a related note, while we were testing last night one of us was able to access some web sites (from a laptop) without accepting terms of use for a bit, but eventually it popped up.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Phone keeps disconnecting from wifi

Postby russellhltn » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 am

craiggsmith wrote:I am usually wandering around, maybe it's not handing off between access points?

That's certainly a possibility. I am assuming they're all Meraki APs and all properly associated with the same firewall. By chance, do you know if the new Meraki switches have been installed and all APs are going direct to the switches?

craiggsmith wrote:On a related note, while we were testing last night one of us was able to access some web sites (from a laptop) without accepting terms of use for a bit, but eventually it popped up.

Someone suggested it may be related to DNS. If the laptop didn't need a DNS lookup right away (perhaps cached values) that might explain it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

craiggsmith

Postby craiggsmith » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Yes, it is all Meraki equipment, we were part of the pilot so we’ve had the full stack for a couple years and I’ve had this phone for about the same time with no problems.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

brogers

Postby brogers » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 am

I'm glad to see this report. A Bishop in the other Ward that share's our building complains that he, and some others in his ward also have this issue. It started either with the switch to Liahona or when the terms of use landing page was added (I'm not sure) All those with problems have Apple devices. I have heard that it may be due to the mac address randomization, but I don't know for sure. Interestingly enough, I've never heard anyone from my Ward or others I know complain of this issue. At least now I know others have experienced this as well.
One thing I'm suspicious about is that that Ward uses a wireless printer. That may have something to do with it. If I can I'll try to do some more investigation into exactly under what conditions and exactly which devices are seeing this issue.
I should add that we have the latest Meraki switch installed, which got installed about a month ago. But the problem was occurring before than and persists after that upgrade. One thing I've wondered if there is something mis-configured in the Access Point which serves that Bishop's office area, which is the cause of his grief.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”