Static or Dynamic IP?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
MarchantRR
Community Moderators

Post by MarchantRR »

hugh wrote:I think most internet providers are going to charge more for a static IP address, and I can't see that it is needed.

Agreed, there is little benefit of having a static IP ... I would not recommend paying additional for this.
dtaylor26-p40

Static IP's

Post by dtaylor26-p40 »

The only benefit you would have of using a static IP is if you were monitoring your stake's connection from a third party location, ala your home, your work, etc. However, such monitoring is likely overkill, and may possibily be interpreted as hostile network activity (constant pings, traceroutes, etc.). I'm not yet familiar with the firewall ruleset, so it may be that such monitoring would not be possible.

Most of the time, dynamic IP's are based on a DHCP lease anyway- the one my ISP uses is a 7 day lease. If the IP was on a machine (router, firewall, PC, etc.) that was constantly powered, your lease would not expire and you'd have the same IP for months, if not years. Depending on how their DHCP is set up, even on losing the lease, your 'new' IP address may be the same as your old one.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

danpass wrote:I don't know if this is church-wide policy of up to the individual FM group.
After discussing what we wanted to do and the expertise we had available, our FM manager approved us doing our own cabling.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”