Northern Utah ISP providers

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon May 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:The "click here" link takes you to Xilec Broadband.
Found it. Thanks. I like to find those things in case there's additional information there.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Mon May 12, 2008 4:24 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Found it. Thanks. I like to find those things in case there's additional information there.
You're welcome. I did think the link was a bit obscure -- I shouldn't have had to hunt so hard for it.

My stake president has asked me to investigate options for adding broadband to a building in our stake that has no FHC and thus no Internet at this point. So I just sent a request for information to Xilec. I'll report back on my experience with them.

rpyne

Postby rpyne » Wed May 14, 2008 7:30 am

RussellHltn wrote:What are the other ISPs offering? Are they more expensive or not compatible with what's needed?
Sorry I took so long to respond. The question on providers on iProvo is now moot since the city has agreed to sell the network to BroadWeave. We will have to wait and see what this brings.

The other service provider (Veracity/Nuvont) would only offer bundled services or low bandwidth at double the price.

In the mean time after looking at the alternatives, we have connected three buildings to the iProvo network using Mstar as the ISP. The last of the three installations was done yesterday. One of the key considerations was that with the fiber connection we get symmetrical bandwidth (same speed up and down) which will greatly improve the possibilities of using it for streaming video between buildings to conference overflows.

pricer

Digis

Postby pricer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:29 am

Digis offers wireless internet service, if you can't get DSL or Comcast. They offer the same rate as home users for churches, cost is about $40.00 a month 7 mbs service, with no contract. Antenna and setup is about $130.00. You need a line of site to the transmission tower and little or no trees.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:34 am

Yes, Digis is one of the options available, however, one should probably be aware of their speed and "throttling" policy. Their advertised speed of 7Mbs is actually (up to) 5Mbs DL and 2Mbs UL combined. Those speeds are dependent on a lot of things (just like any service) including your signal strength to the nearest tower, how many other users are on the same tower, weather, etc.

As far as throttling, after transferring 1GB (up or down) of data your speed will be cut to 1024K/256k, after transferring 2GB it's cut to 512k/128k, after 4GB you get 256k/64k, and so on. These get reset at midnight each night. For regular Church work this shouldn't be a problem at all, however, I wouldn't try to pipe a live video feed from building to building with it.

Just a few things to consider.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”