Stake Internet Use Policy

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
dkcook2-p40
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Updated Policy

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:08 am

Attached are updated versions.....thanks, Dave
Attachments
Internet Use Policy - Administrative Computers.pdf
(24.31 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Internet Use Policy Family History Centers.pdf
(14.07 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 29332
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 am

In the case of the Admin policy, I'm unclear as to who is being designated to be monitoring usage. "Melchizedek Priesthood leaders" is very broad. Broad enough that everyone will think it's someone else's job to do that. The one for the FHC is fine since I read that as saying that the staff who there is to keep an eye on things.

For the FHC policy, I see one place where it says "family history center director (consultant)" and another "family history consultant (director)". I don't understand what that's about.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

dkcook2-p40
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:05 pm

RussellHltn wrote:In the case of the Admin policy, I'm unclear as to who is being designated to be monitoring usage. "Melchizedek Priesthood leaders" is very broad. Broad enough that everyone will think it's someone else's job to do that. The one for the FHC is fine since I read that as saying that the staff who there is to keep an eye on things.


The intent here was bishoprics in the case of the clerks and EQ presidencies and HP Group leaders in the case of their secretaries who may use the computer to update home teaching. Do you think it should just read bishoprics?

RussellHltn wrote: For the FHC policy, I see one place where it says "family history center director (consultant)" and another "family history consultant (director)". I don't understand what that's about.


We have two small family history centers in our stake and currently there is not a called "stake family history director." As such, the "ward family history consultants" will be responsible for directing these centers during open hours. As for the grammar, I will make them parallel. In the future if demand on the center goes up we plan on calling a director and wanted to account for that future possibility. Good feedback. thanks for your help.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 29332
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 pm

dkcook2 wrote:The intent here was bishoprics in the case of the clerks and EQ presidencies and HP Group leaders in the case of their secretaries who may use the computer to update home teaching. Do you think it should just read bishoprics?


I'm not sure what to suggest, just narrowing the focus so that someone feels responsible instead of diffusing responsibility to the point that no one is really responsible. Unlike the FHC computers, they may be used when the person is alone. So you may need to provide some tips or instruction outside of these guidelines on how to accomplish this.


dkcook2 wrote:We have two small family history centers in our stake and currently there is not a called "stake family history director." As such, the "ward family history consultants" will be responsible for directing these centers during open hours. As for the grammar, I will make them parallel. In the future if demand on the center goes up we plan on calling a director and wanted to account for that future possibility.


Hmmm, I didn't know director was an optional calling. Are these "real" FHCs blessed on high from the Family History Department and listed under FamilySearch.org > Library > Family History Center? Or are they a room that the stake has set up and called them a FHC? If it's the latter, I wouldn't recommend calling them a FHC because they lack some of the rights and privileges that a real one has. It's ultimately going to lead to confusion. I call them "Family History workrooms", but that's just my name for them.

Either way, you may want to leave the language as "director" and appoint one FH consultant as "acting director". Because if any consultant is able to approve things, then you'll end up with chaos.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

dkcook2-p40
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:07 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I'm not sure what to suggest, just narrowing the focus so that someone feels responsible instead of diffusing responsibility to the point that no one is really responsible. Unlike the FHC computers, they may be used when the person is alone. So you may need to provide some tips or instruction outside of these guidelines on how to accomplish this.


Maybe I'll just put Bishopric.

RussellHltn wrote: Are these "real" FHCs blessed on high from the Family History Department and listed under FamilySearch.org > Library > Family History Center? Or are they a room that the stake has set up and called them a FHC? If it's the latter, I wouldn't recommend calling them a FHC because they lack some of the rights and privileges that a real one has. It's ultimately going to lead to confusion. I call them "Family History workrooms", but that's just my name for them..


You are correct these are "Family History Workrooms." One of the rooms has 7 computers and the other has 3. Other than the filtered internet access there is not much else in these rooms. This is probably a question for another thread but what does it take to be a "Family History Center?" Is is something we should have on the radar?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 29332
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:14 pm

dkcook2 wrote:This is probably a question for another thread but what does it take to be a "Family History Center?" Is is something we should have on the radar?


I'm not sure. I do know that they indicated that the church was no longer creating centers in the US and trying to focus more attention in other countries. Given your location, I don't think I'd bother. Unless you can present a serious hardship case, the request is likely DOA. (The old guidelines was more than 30 minutes travel time.) You might want to look and see what FHC your stake falls under. It may be a multi-regional.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 8150
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:29 pm

dkcook2 wrote:[W]hat does it take to be a "Family History Center?" Is i[t] something we should have on the radar?
The first place to look is in the Church Handbook of Instructions (CHI), Book 2, pp 268-269. Other references for family history centers are the Administrative Guide for Family History Centers(TM)(2002)[04397] and the Family History Center(TM)Operations Guide(2006)[34051]. The CHI will give the guidelines for creating a FHC. The other two references give detailed operations guidelines for a FHC.

In communicating with FamilySearch Support I have heard support technicians discuss two types of FHCs. Those that have unit numbers are referred to as being official. Those without unit numbers are referred to as unofficial. I have not seen documentation that mentions unofficial FHCs. What name an unofficial center is called is probably up to the stake president.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm

jdlessley wrote:In communicating with FamilySearch Support I have heard support technicians discuss two types of FHCs. Those that have unit numbers are referred to as being official. Those without unit numbers are referred to as unofficial. I have not seen documentation that mentions unofficial FHCs. What name an unofficial center is called is probably up to the stake president.

Ours is "unofficial" and it has the name of "Family History Library". Sorry, I don't know where that name came from, or even if it's used elsewhere.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 29332
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Mikerowaved wrote:Ours is "unofficial" and it has the name of "Family History Library". Sorry, I don't know where that name came from, or even if it's used elsewhere.


Oh, just one other place - and using that name in SLC could cause some confusion. :p
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

dkcook2-p40
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Revieon #3

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Here is the updated versions based on the conversation in this thread.

thanks for your help.....Dave
Attachments
Internet Use Policy - Administrative Computers.pdf
(24.19 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Internet Use Policy Family History Centers.pdf
(14.2 KiB) Downloaded 220 times


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests