Stake Internet Use Policy

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:09 pm

"Members normally permitted to use clerk computers in their callings" is a real fuzzy concept in my mind. On one hand it seems to be limited to those who routinely use the computer: generally clerks, a few quorum and auxiliary leaders and the person who does the Sunday Program. On the other hand, I don't know of anyone who has been refused access (perhaps to outline a talk or lesson) as long as the request is reasonable, church related and not conflicting with something else.

"Family History and Genealogy sites for classes and research only." It sounds like you're trying to exclude something. What about inputting names into newFamilySearch to generate temple ordnances? Or is that considered research? You might want to check the language in the CHI to see to what extent admin computers are to be made available to members for genealogy work to make sure your guidelines are in harmony with the handbook.

In looking over the Internet Use Policy that was dated 2006, I found something you may want to include:
No Privacy Expectation for Internet Access: Internet browsing though Church systems is filtered, monitored, logged and reported on a regular basis. The ability to connect to a specific web site does not in itself imply that visiting that site is appropriate. Users should have no expectation of privacy when accessing the Internet though any application.

I am no lawyer, but "no expectation of privacy" sounds significant.

Likewise from the FHC Internet Use policy sign:
Users should have no expectation of privacy when accessing the Internet using family history center computers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

dkcook2-p40

New Revision

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:03 am

Thanks again. Great feedback. I've edited these documents with your suggestions.
Attachments
Internet Use Policy - Administrative Computers.pdf
(24.99 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Internet Use Policy Family History Centers.pdf
(14.54 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:37 am

"Members permitted to use clerk computers, at the discretion of unit leaders, use the Internet for ecclesiastical purposes only."

Good thought, grammatically awkward.

Looking good!
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

dkcook2-p40

New revision

Postby dkcook2-p40 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:21 pm

I changed it to:

Members permitted by unit leaders to use clerk computers can use the Internet for eclesiastical purposes only.

Thanks.
Attachments
Internet Use Policy - Administrative Computers.pdf
(25.02 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Internet Use Policy Family History Centers.pdf
(14.52 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Sounds good!

rgabel-p40

Postby rgabel-p40 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:15 pm

We are in the process of adding high speed internet to our stake/ward buildings. I appreciate the guidelines posted from other stakes but am very concerned that this is not being reviewed or ownership taken by Church headquarters. Having us in a forum come up with guidelines seems like a potential liability since the Church is funding this service.

Am I missing something here?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:28 pm

rgabel wrote:We are in the process of adding high speed internet to our stake/ward buildings. I appreciate the guidelines posted from other stakes but am very concerned that this is not being reviewed or ownership taken by Church headquarters. Having us in a forum come up with guidelines seems like a potential liability since the Church is funding this service.

Am I missing something here?

Those participating in this forum make no pretense of coming up with Internet usage guidelines for the whole Church. Aside from a few high-level guidelines, the Church has left the specifics up to the individual stakes.

The specific Internet Use Policy document that dkcook2 has been kind enough to post is clearly just for his stake. It's a helpful starting point for other stakes, but there are several provisions that might be quite different in other stakes. For example, that document prohibits connecting member-owned computers to that stake's Internet connection. Our stake has chosen not to prohibit that.

The Church has indeed come up with guidelines. Review the Meetinghouse Internet guidelines at clerk.lds.org. But there are many additional details that each stake president will need to determine. The documents and other ideas posted on this forum serve only as suggestions to help stakes come up with their specific policies.

rgabel-p40

Postby rgabel-p40 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:32 pm

agree ... I do not expect anything "official" from this forum. However, a filtering firewall is not going to solve all the problems if network topolgies or what applications, i.e., MLS, are expecting regarding security threats.

Since I am responsible for app security at a fortune 100 company, I am a little more sensitive but can tell you that deep pockets are all that start stupid lawsuits.

My .02

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 pm

rgabel wrote:However, a filtering firewall is not going to solve all the problems if network topolgies or what applications, i.e., MLS, are expecting regarding security threats.

Just to be clear, in your mind is the concern the security of the Administrative (MLS) computer, or is there something else us stake types should be aware of?

rgabel-p40

Postby rgabel-p40 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 am

that is one concern ... what are the security assumptions of MLS from running on the ward computers and network.

Additionally from a firewall perspective, I am concerned that folks will just use a public proxy to bypass any filters if they want to go to a restricted site ... orthogonal discussion, I know.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”