Meetinghouse Internet Problems

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Meetinghouse Internet Problems

Post by bartj »

We are still experiencing connection issues with the Meetinghouse firewall system. The Church and our vendors are continuing to work on the firewall issue but unfortunately do not yet know the root cause.

If your building is having internet issues (cannot connect to internet or if your building is shown as offline in Technology Manager) we've had success getting firewalls back online by completing the following:
1. Follow the directions below exactly and do not power cycle the router or the access points.
2. This reset is on the router, as shown below, and not any other device. This device has a model and serial number on the bottom. The model number will start with MX. Please record the serial number found on the bottom right of the label.
3. Use a paperclip to press the button labeled 'Reset' on the back panel of the router and release after 6 seconds.
4. When the router restarts the status light on the bottom left of the front panel may flash green and will then turn to orange.
5. Wait for the device to recover its configuration. While recovering its configuration the light will show rainbow colors and will eventually turn solid white. This may repeat two times and will take about 10 minutes.
6. Once the light turns solid white and remains solid white the device should be ready for use.
7. Verify internet connectivity is working by browsing to www.churchofjesuschrist.org.
8. After this has been completed, please send an email to: mht@ldschurch.org giving us the serial number of the MX64 you reset and if the procedure worked or not.

These instructions, with graphics, are available on TM.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Meetinghouse Internet Problems

Post by tlhackett »

The missing images (displayed in TM)
meraki-reset-btn.png
meraki-reset-btn.png (224.8 KiB) Viewed 22979 times
meraki-status-light.png
meraki-status-light.png (177.17 KiB) Viewed 22979 times
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

If the process above does not resolve the problem try pulling the network cables out of ports 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the firewall and repeat the steps above. Do not remove the Internet cable. It may also be beneficial at this point to reboot the firewall at this point. It is critical the cables go back in the exact ports you removed them from after the firewall has come back online - solid white indicator light on the front of the firewall.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

Revised additional steps if the initial reset does not work:

If the process above does not resolve the problem try first rebooting the modem by powering it off for 30 seconds. Then pull the network cables out of ports 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the firewall, reboot the firewall (unplug and plug back in), and repeat the steps above. Make sure that you press the reset button when the status light is showing rainbow colors. Do not remove the Internet cable. After the firewall reboots, re-insert the network cables you removed. It is critical all cables go back in the exact ports they were removed from.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Could you remind me which ports to use?

My meetinghouse does not have a FHC. We have:
- Clerk's computer
- HVAC equipment
- Three 1041 WAPs

I just want to verify the cables are connected to the correct ports.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

With the right login credentials you should see the installation instructions with this link https://www.lds.org/help/support/bc/cle ... f?lang=eng
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Could you remind me which ports to use?
I sent you a private message.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

For anyone with the same question:

Warning: This only applies to the Cisco Meraki Firewalls (Model: MX64)

If TM says the firewall DOESN'T have a SP zone:
Port 1: User/public zone (clerk computers, APs, printers, etc.)
Port 2: User/public zone (clerk computers, APs, printers, etc.)
Port 3: User/public zone (clerk computers, APs, printers, etc.)
Port 4: FAC zone (HVAC, door systems, etc)

If TM says the firewall HAS a SP zone:
Port 1: User/public zone (clerk computers, APs, printers, etc.)
Port 2: User/public zone (clerk computers, APs, printers, etc.)
Port 3: SP zone (generally used by Family History Center computers, printers, etc.)
Port 4: FAC zone (HVAC, door systems, etc)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was successful in getting the two firewalls that were off-line in my stake working again. The first one was pretty smooth. The second one took some effort. I notice that the firewall doesn't seem to have a reaction for quite some time after the paperclip operation. I also saw it go white, and then start the rainbow cycle again. But all's well that ends well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

We have updated the instructions based on more field experience. This update has been posted on tm.lds.org.
Last edited by russellhltn on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct url for TM.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”