Meetinghouse Internet Problems

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Meetinghouse Internet Problems

Post by tlhackett »

Just to clarify, a "warning" status doesn't mean your firewall is offline. It actually means that it is online (otherwise you'd see an offline status). What it means is that there may be additional issues. In this specific case, the VPN may be down. VPN issues can affect your ability to manage your APs in TM.

When we check the status of the firewall and see that it is online, we ping the FAC zone to see if it is responding. If it doesn't respond, the VPN connection may be down and we show a warning status. Otherwise you see the online status.

Offline obviously means that it is offline.

Unknown shows up when there isn't yet a status or there was an error getting the status.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

yarrgh wrote:When we check the status of the firewall and see that it is online, we ping the FAC zone to see if it is responding. If it doesn't respond, the VPN connection may be down and we show a warning status.
What happens if I don't have any devices in the FAC zone? Someone on GSD tried to tell me that because of that, the firewall would show up in "warning". However, ALL of my buildings don't have devices in the FAC zone, but not all of them show in in warning.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

The FAC zone, from my experience, should ping whether it has devices on it or not. My test equipment always pings and I never have any devices connected to the FAC. This should be the case everywhere else as well.
kevinf99

Post by kevinf99 »

What if I have a 'Warning' status (perhaps the VPN is down...) But my FAC ping fails?

This particular site was working earlier tonight (according to the TM tool). But before I sent the stake presidency an "all is well" message, I decided to check all my sites, one more time. Found that two of them were down (red check mark). About 20-30 minutes later - one of them was back up (green check mark). Now - I'm only dealing with this one site. Don't really want to drive 70 miles, only to find that it was a false positive.

I really need to know how to read all the info given - and accurately assess the situation.

Tried calling GSC. After working hours. Only option was to talk to an operator if I considered this an emergency. I don't. So I haven't woken anyone up (I figure the IT guys have been hammered by this outage and need time off).
kevinf99

Post by kevinf99 »

Update - It's back up. All green, as of now.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We found a Meraki firewall today with a solid orange light doing nothing. It was fine Saturday night. What is the proper procedure at that point? Remove power, wait 30 seconds, reboot?

I need the answer to that question, and then I need to know if anything extra is needed if they put the paper clip in it and it came back solid orange and stayed there. (I have provided explicit directions not to do that again without calling me first.) Will it reconfigure itself?

Does it ever recover on its own from solid orange?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have seen "solid orange" when things have problems. I'd try a power cycle first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Our internet died during the third hour of our meeting block today. After the block ended, I cycled power on the Meraki firewall. After showing rainbow colors for a few minutes, it settled down to solid orange. Still no internet connection.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I cycled power on the Meraki firewall. After showing rainbow colors for a few minutes, it settled down to solid orange.
That is exactly where this unit is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

LED Status Meaning
Solid orange Power is applied but the appliance is not connected to the Meraki Dashboard

It may be the ISP that's down. I'd power cycle the modem and then power cycle the firewall (unless the LDS starts doing something).

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”