Wireless Internet Providers

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 8698
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby lajackson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:47 pm

craiggsmith wrote:All manuals, pictures, and videos in our libraries are being disposed of at the end of the year.

Is that a local initiative?

craiggsmith
Senior Member
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: South Jordan, Utah

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby craiggsmith » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:03 am

lajackson wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:All manuals, pictures, and videos in our libraries are being disposed of at the end of the year.

Is that a local initiative?

I don't know, I was given the impression it came down from above but I'll have to ask.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 26652
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby russellhltn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 am

To start with, unless you have a large color printer, I can't see how a digital picture replaces a printed one for classroom use.

I can understand discarding all older material that is no longer part of the curriculum, or currently obtainable. But "all" sounds like someone went overboard.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

craiggsmith
Senior Member
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: South Jordan, Utah

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby craiggsmith » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:55 pm

russellhltn wrote:I can understand discarding all older material that is no longer part of the curriculum, or currently obtainable. But "all" sounds like someone went overboard.

I will clarify with a better source, I admit I don't see the reasoning behind getting rid of things such as pictures that are pretty universal.

At any rate, internet access is becoming more important in the curriculum with each passing year.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3642
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby Mikerowaved » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:30 pm

craiggsmith wrote:At any rate, internet access is becoming more important in the curriculum with each passing year.

I don't think anyone can argue with that.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 26652
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby russellhltn » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:14 am

Mikerowaved wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:At any rate, internet access is becoming more important in the curriculum with each passing year.

I don't think anyone can argue with that.

However, there's a number of buildings where you wouldn't want to rely on a working internet connection during the lesson. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

RyanGard1977
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:26 pm

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby RyanGard1977 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 pm

We are getting ready to have Hughes Net install a dish for satellite internet at a stake center where DSL, T1, and Cable is not available. Should have speeds up to 25M D and possibly 5 up, which is a great improvement over the 2M down and 2M up we have at present with the old satellite ISP. I'll let you know how it goes, but this is sounding like a good option.

danpass
Member
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby danpass » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:32 pm

RyanGard1977 wrote:We are getting ready to have Hughes Net install a dish for satellite internet at a stake center where DSL, T1, and Cable is not available. Should have speeds up to 25M D and possibly 5 up, which is a great improvement over the 2M down and 2M up we have at present with the old satellite ISP. I'll let you know how it goes, but this is sounding like a good option.


I had a client who had Hughes satellite Internet. He wanted to use OpenDNS for content filtering, but we found that Hughesnet has restrictions in place which prevented it from functioning. Since the church is now using OpenDNS as a filtering solution, you should check to see if the church's implementation of OpenDNS would be affected.

Google "opendns hughesnet" for more information.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 8698
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby lajackson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 pm

danpass wrote:Since the church is now using OpenDNS as a filtering solution, you should check to see if the church's implementation of OpenDNS would be affected.

We have a branch in the hinterland that uses a Hughes dish. We have had plenty of problems, but the GSC has always been able to work them out so that the branch can keep operating. Although there have been some connection issues, the biggest problem has been loss of service during inclement weather.

danpass
Member
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

Re: Wireless Internet Providers

Postby danpass » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:33 pm

lajackson wrote:
danpass wrote:Since the church is now using OpenDNS as a filtering solution, you should check to see if the church's implementation of OpenDNS would be affected.

We have a branch in the hinterland that uses a Hughes dish. We have had plenty of problems, but the GSC has always been able to work them out so that the branch can keep operating. Although there have been some connection issues, the biggest problem has been loss of service during inclement weather.


I wonder if they have they done a filter check since the recent switch to OpenDNS?


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest