Meetinghouse DNS Setting Changes

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Hagothsen

Re: Meetinghouse DNS Setting Changes

Post by Hagothsen »

I'm an STS in my stake. I just got the email about changing the DNS for static IP devices, a few minutes ago.
derrickfulkerson

Post by derrickfulkerson »

I’m worried about it being a 3 day weekend and getting calls from Ward Clerks this Sunday if they are unable to get online as I will be out of town. :|
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

derrickfulkerson wrote:I’m worried about it being a 3 day weekend and getting calls from Ward Clerks this Sunday if they are unable to get online as I will be out of town. :|
Have you configured anything to have a static IP address? If not, then you likely have nothing to worry about. The only static IP in my stake is a family history printer. All the clerk computers are set to DHCP.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:And no, as STS I never received an email.
It is official! At 3:55 pm Mountain Time today, just a few minutes ago, I received an email that the updates are expected to be completed by . . . wait for it . . . 4:00 pm, within five minutes, and that after this time devices that connect to the Internet should be tested to ensure that they still function as expected.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The updates can complete early, the question is how long we have before the old servers are shut down.

This is a good time to update any static devices to use the features of our new firewall. Leave the device on "automatic" and tell the firewall what IP you want it to use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:This is a good time to update any static devices to use the features of our new firewall. Leave the device on "automatic" and tell the firewall what IP you want it to use.
Thanks for the reminder. I am thinking of doing this for the VidiU, so I don't have to look up the network address every time I turn it on, and then change my browser bookmark to find it again.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

Keep in mind that computers/devices with static IP addresses on the meetinghouse network should be fine. However, computers/devices with static DNS settings on the meetinghouse network may have issues. These will need to be updated to obtain DNS server settings automatically.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nmecantwin73 wrote:Keep in mind that computers/devices with static IP addresses on the meetinghouse network should be fine. However, computers/devices with static DNS settings on the meetinghouse network may have issues. These will need to be updated to obtain DNS server settings automatically.
Unless I'm missing something, once you configure Windows for a static IP, you're forced to use a static DNS IP as well.

Perhaps printers, copiers, and other devices are more flexible.

The older firewalls didn't let us set static IPs in the DNS. The new ones do. I think it's "best practice" to take advantage of that. If nothing else, it gives a centralized place to record those assignments. That would avoid any surprises by a rarely used static IP, like the webcaster system. I can just imagine someone setting up the webcaster for a conference and finding a printer has stolen the IP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

russellhltn wrote: Unless I'm missing something, once you configure Windows for a static IP, you're forced to use a static DNS IP as well.
Yes, if you don't set a static IP, you have to use DHCP.
If you don't use DHCP, you must set the IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and DNS servers manually.
danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote: Unless I'm missing something, once you configure Windows for a static IP, you're forced to use a static DNS IP as well.

Perhaps printers, copiers, and other devices are more flexible.

The older firewalls didn't let us set static IPs in the DNS. The new ones do. I think it's "best practice" to take advantage of that. If nothing else, it gives a centralized place to record those assignments. That would avoid any surprises by a rarely used static IP, like the webcaster system. I can just imagine someone setting up the webcaster for a conference and finding a printer has stolen the IP.
I agree with your statement on best practice of making static IP assignments at the firewall level and letting devices get that assignment automatically from the DHCP server. This is how we began doing it, once the capability was added in TM.

However, in the event that someone chooses to set a static IP address for a Windows computer locally on the device, this setting is independent of the DNS server(s) setting.
TCPIP v4 properties.PNG
TCPIP v4 properties.PNG (14.51 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”