Upcoming DNS change

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
dbaresrc

Upcoming DNS change

Postby dbaresrc » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:09 pm

I just received the email about the upcoming DNS changes. There is no mention about how this effects (if at all) the FHC equipment (computers and printers) which use static IPs on the 10.x network as opposed to the regular member side. Is there anything I need to do for these?

Thanks

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Upcoming DNS change

Postby russellhltn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Glad you mentioned it. My email got routed to a folder where I didn't see it.
dbaresrc wrote:There is no mention about how this effects (if at all) the FHC equipment (computers and printers) which use static IPs on the 10.x network
It appears to me that it's addressing everything that connects to the meetinghouse network. I would assume the FHC is impacted as well.

I'm disappointed in that the letter and referenced Help Center article fail to give any information that would help me determine if we've been updated or not. No dates, no old or new IPs, nothing.

Something not mentioned, this only affects devices that are set to static - not to devices that get a static IP assignment from the firewall. With the possible exception of the Vidiu Teradek video encoder, I would suggest all devices be set to DHCP and use static assignments instead.

I got a little concerned about the Cisco Satellite receivers because they are assigned static IPs on the device. But they don't use DNS, so no problems there. (That's assuming that Remote Monitering was set up.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:40 pm

Addition: Back in Aug 2018, the DNS was changed to the following:
Primary DNS 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS 208.67.220.220

I guess we'll have to use that to figure out if what we're getting now is "old" or "new".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:18 pm

I do not know about static IP assignments, but it seems evident that the DNS IP addresses will change. So if any equipment has manually assigned DNS addresses, they would be affected.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”