How to recommend naming a town within an article title?

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

How should we recommend users name towns within an article title?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland
17%
50%
33%

Total votes: 12

Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

Just to be consistent, I am saying that I believe all products should be consistent. ;)

Seriously, I do believe that. I do not believe we should deviate from the standard. It adds clarity and consistency. An example that I did not see others bring up may be when a county has several cities including one of the same name as the county. If the county was not included, then something would be needed to distinguish the city from the county.

Maybe the search engine could be changed to find "Saint George, Washington, Utah" when someone searchs for "Saint George, Utah" or even "St. George, Utah" (wait, it that example belong in the abbreviation thread?).
dsammy-p40

Probate districts vs town probate districts

Post by dsammy-p40 »

. And we'll have to deal with probate districts in Vermont and Connecticut, as well.

Townships (see comments on that thread) in New York are a little like the Towns of New England, in that there is a system of Township Historians in place in that state, and they compile records of genealogical interest for genealogists.[/quote]

and Rhode Island, too.

Connecticut and Vermont are complicated - 2 or more towns will be in a single probate district. A example is Sharon district, Connecticut - it includes Sharon, Salisbury and Kent only in Litchfield County. Considerable research is involved to identify towns in each probate district and begining and end dates of each town in particular probate district.

Vermont - at least in Windsor County - there are 2 districts. Windsor district covers only
Springfield, Cavendish, Chester, Ludlow, Plymouth, Reading, Swanzey, Weathersfield, Windsor. The other district is named Hartford and it covers the rest of that county.
dsammy-p40

Post by dsammy-p40 »

Maybe the search engine could be changed to find "Saint George, Washington, Utah" when someone searchs for "Saint George, Utah" or even "St. George, Utah" (wait, it that example belong in the abbreviation thread?).[/quote]

in Wikipedia, St. is standard and if somebody type Saint George, it automatically revert to St. George in search
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

Thomas_Lerman wrote:Just to be consistent, I am saying that I believe all products should be consistent. ;)

Seriously, I do believe that. I do not believe we should deviate from the standard. It adds clarity and consistency. An example that I did not see others bring up may be when a county has several cities including one of the same name as the county. If the county was not included, then something would be needed to distinguish the city from the county.

Maybe the search engine could be changed to find "Saint George, Washington, Utah" when someone searchs for "Saint George, Utah" or even "St. George, Utah" (wait, it that example belong in the abbreviation thread?).
The wiki search returns 'Saint George, Utah' first, then 'Saint George, Washington, Utah'. It did not return the article titled 'Saint George', or 'Utah'. So, barring an article titled 'Saint George, Utah' that is not about the city, the search would do what you expected it to do. In any case, as long as you do not use the 'Go' search, 'Saint George, Washington, Utah' will show in the list of results. (tested on my sandbox wiki)

This does get hairy with a place like 'New York, New York, New York' as 'New York, New York' could be a city/state, a city/county, or county/state record. (see disambiguation :))

The Earl
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

It looks like my posting was not terribly clear . . . too many postings at once getting too much in my brain. I believe I was referring to the "Go" search. Can it be changed to allow case insensitive searches and/or other kinds of searches? The St. George example could produce one of those "Did you mean 'Saint George, Washington, Utah'?" messages.

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”