shorthand for displaying my relationship

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
cmcphie

shorthand for displaying my relationship

Post by cmcphie »

I would like to know if there is a method to generate a shorthand e.g. ahnentafel notation when viewing my relationship to a given person. Right now I see only a graphic display and would like something less cumbersome for working with persons in a spreadsheet or with other applications.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: shorthand for displaying my relationship

Post by sbradshaw »

As far as I know, there isn't a way to generate ahnentafel notation for your tree in FamilySearch. You could suggest it by using the "Feedback" link at the bottom of FamilySearch.org. (I hadn't heard of ahnentafel before, but it looks like an interesting system!)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jwthomasbennion

Post by jwthomasbennion »

cmcphie wrote:I would like to know if there is a method to generate a shorthand e.g. ahnentafel notation when viewing my relationship to a given person. Right now I see only a graphic display and would like something less cumbersome for working with persons in a spreadsheet or with other applications.
Yes, but not with FamilySearch. Try 3rd-party programs authorized by (with interfaces into) FamilySearch, noted in the Solutions Gallery at the bottom of any FamilySearch page.
Hint: try the "Charts" category or the "Family Tree Management" category or the "Search" category. (With AQ, the report tab for "Books" has an Ahnentafel option.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jwthomasbennion wrote:Try 3rd-party programs authorized by (with interfaces into) FamilySearch, noted in the Solutions Gallery at the bottom of any FamilySearch page.
Hint: try the "Charts" category or the "Family Tree Management" category or the "Search" category. (With AQ, the report tab for "Books" has an Ahnentafel option.)
If you just want a quick pedigree chart with Ahnentafel numbers, I think your simplest approach would be to use the FamilySearch partner TreeSeek.com. They provide a free 9-generation pedigree chart (generated from your FamilySearch Family Tree data), which will give you Ahnentafel numbers up to 511.

Return to “Family History”