Claiming legacy ID'S

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
RBeatse

Claiming legacy ID'S

Post by RBeatse »

About 8 years ago, after my father passed away, I went through Family Search and found all of his old user ID'S and sent an email to someone asking to have his ID'S reassigned to me so that if someone was looking for more info on something he submitted, they would be directed to me. It was done and has worked great. So, the question:

Is there a formal process for this now? I have a person in my Ward that wants to do the same thing but I'm not sure how to go about it now.
berthearle

Re: Claiming legacy ID'S

Post by berthearle »

In NFS only the original submitter could change a record. In order for changes to be made if the submitter was deceased another person could request that user name be transferred to them.

However in familytree now any user can change record information so the user name transfer is unnecessary.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Claiming legacy ID'S

Post by aebrown »

berthearle wrote:In NFS only the original submitter could change a record. In order for changes to be made if the submitter was deceased another person could request that user name be transferred to them.

However in familytree now any user can change record information so the user name transfer is unnecessary.
That's not entirely true. There are still things that can only be done by the submitter -- most notably with photos -- and so there is still the need for the process of taking responsibility for the submissions of a deceased submitter.

Return to “Family History”