Ordinances reserved by someone else

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
Karris

Post by Karris »

I did family history research a few years ago and put my great grandparents into my family tree. Someone (who I do not know personally- I am a convert and the only member in my close family) reserved these names for temple ordinances over two years ago, but has not printed them. I tried sending a message through familysearch for this person to either release the names or complete the work, but I have received no response. Is there anything else I can do?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ordinances reserved by someone else

Post by aebrown »

Karris wrote:I did family history research a few years ago and put my great grandparents into my family tree. Someone (who I do not know personally- I am a convert and the only member in my close family) reserved these names for temple ordinances over two years ago, but has not printed them. I tried sending a message through familysearch for this person to either release the names or complete the work, but I have received no response. Is there anything else I can do?
Yes, you can call FamilySearch Support (866-406-1830) and explain the situation. If your explanation is sufficiently compelling (and it certainly sounds so to me), then they have the ability to release the reservation so that you can reserve the names and do the temple work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The current policy is that FamilySearch will release names that have been reserved for more than two years – but the policy is relatively new and I don't know how it applies retroactively; and it doesn't keep someone from snatching the name up again after it expires. It used to be that names were reserved indefinitely, and were still held as reserved even if the reserver had passed away, which was the case with some names in my line. I'm glad for the new policy!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ducovandoesburg

Post by ducovandoesburg »

Hi :) Could you please help me. I have a simular question. I noted that someone else performed ordinances of my family members. My question is, how can I find out who this did? I am a convert and would love to get in contact with this possible lds family member. Thanks :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ducovandoesburg wrote:I have a simular question. I noted that someone else performed ordinances of my family members.
How long ago did this deceased family member live? The work could have been done via name extraction from the records. I run into that myself once I get back to the 1900s or so.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Looking on FamilySearch, I don't see a way to tell who performed temple ordinances for my family members, but if you go to an family member's profile page, you can click on various bits of information (like name, or birth date, etc.) to see the username of the person who added that piece of information to the profile. Then you can send them a message through FamilySearch.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:Looking on FamilySearch, I don't see a way to tell who performed temple ordinances for my family members....
Correct. While temple ordinances are reserved but not yet completed, you can see who has those ordinances reserved, but once they have been completed, the name of the person who reserved them is no longer available.
sbradshaw wrote:...but if you go to an family member's profile page, you can click on various bits of information (like name, or birth date, etc.) to see the username of the person who added that piece of information to the profile. Then you can send them a message through FamilySearch.
Even easier, you can go to the "Latest Changes" section of the person's page, and click on "Show all" at the bottom of that section. That will show you all changes in one list, and you can scroll through the list of changes and get a quick feel for who has been making most of the changes on that person.
katelynpanter

Post by katelynpanter »

I have a question slightly connected to that: while I was indexing, I looked up the person to see if their work had already been done. It has not, but I don't know how to see if there is a family member able to do them. I do not want to take away an opportunity for someone to do their own ancestor's temple work, but I also want their temple work to be done.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

katelynpanter wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:38 pm I have a question slightly connected to that: while I was indexing, I looked up the person to see if their work had already been done. It has not, but I don't know how to see if there is a family member able to do them. I do not want to take away an opportunity for someone to do their own ancestor's temple work, but I also want their temple work to be done.
There is no way to see if a person in Family Tree has family members able to do temple work. As long as you are related to the person, and they were born more than 110 years ago, you can feel free to reserve and perform their temple ordinances.
sakerjw@gmail.com

Post by sakerjw@gmail.com »

What do I do if one of my coworkers who is Japanese, is the only member of the church in her family, gave me permission to do her Father's ordinances, but she doesn't know how to release his name to me, and when she bothers me at work every morning about it, and how she is relying on me to do it, which I am more than happy to, I just don't understand what to do in this situation. I had been coworkers with her for a long while, and I know the basics of speaking Japanese to talk with in, and she says that she hadn't had the time to check FamilySearch? I want to reserve the name, but none of us know how to get it released to me to do his ordinances, so that she can do the Sealing for him. What should I tell her, and especially if her and anyone else she knows besides me had no time to go to the Temple, and wants me to do it, since I am going to the Japanese Endowment Session, and she made it very clear to me that she can't find anyone else she trusts to do the work. What do you think I should do?

-Elder Hunsaker
(Service Missionary)
Provo MTC
01/03/2024

Return to “Family History”