new FamilySearch Beta2 Complete

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I think something is going to work regarding my item 1. Thanks on that.

For the second item, it's a little tricky. The person was baptized and endowed, etc., in this life but at some point was excommunicated, then after his death he was rebaptized at a temple.

The problem comes when they wanted to combine the two records. One shows that the person was excommunicated, that was in the Deceased Member Records. The other record showing the rebaptism in the temple was on the IGI.

What seems problematic is combining the two to show that they are the same person. It's the excommunication information that is tripping things up although the person is dead. Is there a way to combine the records but leave the gory details regarding the fact that the person had before death been excommunicated?

The system will combine the records, but makes everything private because of the above matter. They didn't want to make things private since the individual was dead, so they are awaiting anything that might help in the matter although they would be OK if the excommunication note was left out .
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

That sounds like a question/issue to be brought up with the support folks. There's a chance the system might not yet handle those more difficult cases in the way everyone concerned might prefer.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I'll have the person that gave me these two things call the support people then. Given the Beta 2 is over, who or what area should she ask for?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

JamesAnderson wrote:I'll have the person that gave me these two things call the support people then. Given the Beta 2 is over, who or what area should she ask for?
I don't know. I suspect the next opportunity to work with the support folks on that issue will be after the system goes live for real.

Earlier, I believe you said they could combine the records, but then everything went private. I would guess the worst case would be that they would have to take that situation (everything went private) and add as notes the information they wanted to be visible.

By the way, I ran into a case that will probably require manual fixing of Church membership records to get things right. One person has a possible duplicate (a total of two records for one person). The system won't let me combine them, because they both contain Church membership info. Everything shows him with a marriage date in 1867, all records pointing to the identical spouse. The main record shows him born in 1844. The (other) Church membership record shows him born in 1884. I'm guessing that was caused by a slip of the finger on the keyboard during data entry from paper membership records. The training materials said something about a process for having support look at fixing errors in Church membership records for deceased people. I'm guessing that's what will need to be done.
Mr. M-p40

Becoming a BETA tester.

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

How does one go about becoming a beta tester for the church. Specifically, the family search site?
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Mr. M wrote:How does one go about becoming a beta tester for the church. Specifically, the family search site?

During the times when beta testers are requested, a survey is available for interested volunteers. It asks both demographical questions & computer system (i.e.: type of computer, internet connection type, etc.) questions. Those not selected never hear from anyone regarding their application. Those selected are then contacted for the beta. To my knowledge, there is no present beta testing for the general public.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Actually the New Family Search is live and if it is avaliable in your area (they say your priesthood leaders will inform you that it is) then you can go to http://beta.familysearch.org and register. (You can also go there and try to register but if it is not avaliable in your district yet it will tell you so).

So in 18 months it should be avaliable for all to use.
- David
garysturn

Register to help test newFamilySearch

Post by garysturn »

Mr. M wrote:How does one go about becoming a beta tester for the church. Specifically, the family search site?

You can register to participate in future testing at: Register Hereto help test newFamilySearch improvements. I have noticed that some of the questions links don't work all the time in IE7. They work for me in Firefox but not in IE7, sometimes they work sometimes not in IE7. If the questions links don't work for you, there is more info about testing here. There are also links to more information about newFamilySearch here.

You can also see future projects for newFamilySearch at FamilySearch Labs.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
Mr. M-p40

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

Thank you for all the links and information. I will look forward to helping if I am allowed. :)
garysturn

Live

Post by garysturn »

thedqs wrote:Actually the New Family Search is live and if it is avaliable in your area (they say your priesthood leaders will inform you that it is) then you can go to http://beta.familysearch.org and register. (You can also go there and try to register but if it is not avaliable in your district yet it will tell you so).

So in 18 months it should be avaliable for all to use.

I have read on other sites that some Temples are online. Does anyone live in a Temple district that is online.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct

Return to “Family History”