STAY logged in on account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
robmerrill

STAY logged in on account

Post by robmerrill »

PLEASE oh please allow me to "stay logged in" on my account for a specific computer, etc. Perhaps force me to go through a secondary authentication or something every once in a while, but please allow me to check a box when I login that allows me to stay logged in when I am using my own private computer.

If tightly locking down the accounts is absolutely required, perhaps a few options:

- Let me "stay logged in for 2 weeks" or "stay logged in for a month" or something like that?
- Even if you kept me "soft logged in" for certain things across sessions, allowing me to access scripture notes/notebook, etc. (if someone takes control of my computer and reads my thoughts on 3Ne 17, I am not going to have a problem with that), but asking me to drop in my password when accessing something key-crucial-sensitive such as membership info.
- Require a two factor authentication (text me a code or send to my email account) when logging in from a new computer/device previously unrecognized.

Also, while I am at it,
Aingealfire

Re: STAY logged in on account

Post by Aingealfire »

I'm a fan of this request. It's frustrating to have to re-login whenever I switch tools or wander away from my PC for an hour or so.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: The forum is user-to-user support. There is little likelihood this request will be seen by someone with authority to consider this request. Your best method to get this feedback to the right people is to use the feedback link found on the LDS.org home page and any other LDS.org page with that link.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
teddjpb

Post by teddjpb »

I agree with this request. It has been two years since this request, though, and I have seen no change! I literally have to log in EVERY SINGLE TIME I go onto LDS.org, and it's really frustrating, especially if I just want to do something quick like pay tithing. Just make a "stay logged in for two weeks" options. That would help a ton!
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Personal opinion: This is never going to happen. There's too much risk that someone with access to sensitive information will use a family computer (or a computer that any family member could easily get to) and, presto! The Bishop's confidential information is suddenly available to a 12-year-old member of the Bishop's family. I suspect the response to that situation would be "Then just make it so that the Bishop has to sign in every time but don't make ME do it too." Um… I just don't think that's a high priority among the developers. "Well, can I at least stay signed in on something harmless like the ward calendar tool?" Again, I don't think it's a high priority among the developers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gregwanderson wrote:I don't think it's a high priority among the developers.
It's not the developers that get to set the priorities. It's the Priesthood Department. I imagine they're subject to the same thing, but they value security.

I also suspect that structure of the system makes it hard for login timeouts to be connected to one's calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

teddjpb wrote:especially if I just want to do something quick like pay tithing
This would mean that anyone who opens your computer can get your bank account information through the donations tool without typing a password. I think you'll have a hard time convincing the Church's data security team that you should be able to stay perpetually logged in to the donations tool.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
shroomy115

Post by shroomy115 »

It is super frustrating that the Gospel Library app on my phone never requires me to log in but accessing the same stuff (highlights, notes, etc) on the computer always requires it. If security of the bank account is a worry, then separate it out: You can stay logged in for gospel study, but if you want to access your donations you have to sign in again. This is not a new concept, Amazon has done this for years: When I'm on Amazon's site, they know who I am and I can add and remove stuff to/from my cart, but when I want to actually buy something or access my account information, I have to sign in.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

shroomy115 wrote:It is super frustrating that the Gospel Library app on my phone never requires me to log in but accessing the same stuff (highlights, notes, etc) on the computer always requires it. If security of the bank account is a worry, then separate it out: You can stay logged in for gospel study, but if you want to access your donations you have to sign in again. This is not a new concept, Amazon has done this for years: When I'm on Amazon's site, they know who I am and I can add and remove stuff to/from my cart, but when I want to actually buy something or access my account information, I have to sign in.
I like this idea. You should suggest it using the LDS.org feedback link.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bonniesueb

Post by bonniesueb »

Strongly agree. It's hard to use the website as a study app because it always times me out.

Return to “Church Account”