My phone is linked to some else's account!?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
jarvist

My phone is linked to some else's account!?

Post by jarvist »

I tried to enter my cell phone for account recovery but got the following error:
Your mobile phone number is already linked to another LDS Account. Because the mobile phone is used for account recovery, it cannot be used on more than one account.
I double checked the number--it is definitely the correct number for my phone--so it should not be linked to anyone else's account. How do I unlink my phone from this unknown person's account?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: My phone is linked to some else's account!?

Post by jdlessley »

To add a mobile phone number for account recovery a message is sent to your phone with a code that must be entered within 60 minutes. It would be strange for someone else to enter your mobile number and be able to complete setting up a mobile number if they did not enter the code sent to your mobile number.

When you entered your mobile number did you include the area code? If so then you may need to contact the LDS Account support team at https://ldsaccount.lds.org/contact.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While I suppose it's possible that someone else has your mobile number, I think it's more likely you created a LDS Account - probably for another church website. And when it came time to sign up for something else - you didn't realize you already had an account.

Either way, I think the next step is to use the link given in the prior post.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Another possibility is that your cell phone number previously belonged to someone else, who happened to be LDS and set up an LDS Account some time ago. (This is more likely if you're in Utah with an 801 area code.) How long have you had that cell phone number?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
LDSAccountTech
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by LDSAccountTech »

The most likely situation is that you had created a former LDS Account using your cell phone number and are now receiving an error since it is already in use. To verify what account it is attached to, you can go through ldsaccount.lds.org and click on forgot username. You can use your phone number as the recovery method and see if you recognize the username that pops up.
jmwille

Post by jmwille »

I’m having the same problem. I got this phone number today, so I know I’ve not used it before. I assume the previous owner was a member and has not changed his number in LDS.org. Anything I can do but wait for them to release it? I’m afraid that may take a very long time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jmwille wrote:I’m having the same problem. I got this phone number today, so I know I’ve not used it before. I assume the previous owner was a member and has not changed his number in LDS.org. Anything I can do but wait for them to release it? I’m afraid that may take a very long time.
I'd talk to your membership clerk about getting in contact with support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”