Locked out of Account Settings on lds.org because of 2-factor authentication not functioning

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
alicejensen

Locked out of Account Settings on lds.org because of 2-factor authentication not functioning

Post by alicejensen »

I want to check my settings at lds.org. I sign into my account, then go to My Account>Account Settings. It then takes me to the 2-factor authentication page. It tells me: "Open the Third-Party Authenticator App on your Android or Apple device and locate the six-digit verification code." Then there is a place to put in a 6-digit code. The only 3rd party app I can find that is installed on my phone is Google Authentication, which tells me to Begin Setup. When I go there, I am supposed to either scan a bar code, or enter it manually. I get no bar code from lds.org. Then I found the LDS Authenticator app and installed that, but it basically does the same thing - they need a bar code, and I'm not getting one from the 2-factor authentication page, nor is the page sending a 6-digit code to my authenticator apps.

I found the following link: https://ldsaccount.lds.org/help/twoStepVerification which has the Enable Now button, but that takes me to ldsaccount.lds.org, or the two-step verification page again; however, this time giving the following message: "The verification option you selected is currently unavailable. Please select a different option or try again later." There is no other option to try. I will try later, but believe there is something else and nothing will change.

I don't remember ever signing up for two-factor auth, but if I did, why isn't it working? While the best security is not being able to access the data at all, even by the authorized person, that is not what is intended; I should be able to access my account when I need it.

I have tried my settings in my LDS Tools phone app, but there are not settings there that can help with this. I have even tried logging in using the web browser on my phone, but have the same issues there, naturally.

I have no trouble going to any other options, whether they be under My Account, My Ward, or Tools and Support. The one I want to get to, however, is Account Settings.

Please help or give me information of whom to contact.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Locked out of Account Settings on lds.org because of 2-factor authentication not functioning

Post by lajackson »

alicejensen wrote:Please help or give me information of whom to contact.
If you contact your ward clerk, he will be able to tell you how to contact the Global Service Center. They will be able to turn off two-factor authentication on your account, and you will then be able to determine whether or not you wish to activate it (again).
alicejensen

Re: Locked out of Account Settings on lds.org because of 2-factor authentication not functioning

Post by alicejensen »

Thanks!
alicejensen

Post by alicejensen »

I was able to finally get the phone # I needed for the Global Service Center, which is 855-537-4357. They were quick to take my call and quick to disable two-factor authentication. Now I can't remember why I wanted to check my settings, lol!
mjcampos20

Post by mjcampos20 »

A ptompt on security key was suggested on my phone while I am opening my byu account on my phone. I thought it was ordinary security and intended only in my phone so I just use the passcode of my phone. Then the next day after that, I am.opening my byu account on my desktop and this security key came out asking for usb security key. I don't know what I am going to d o to remove or stop using it . I used to access my byu modules in my desktop in my tablet of in my phone when I am not in WIFI zone. I spent many hours ginding how I can remove it. I can access it only in my phone. Please I need help. My LDS account no longer recognized my latest password. It came back in its previous settings with the previous phone number which is no longer in use. Please help. I need to do my lesdons in BYU Pathway Connect

Return to “Church Account”