Password won't work on single computer

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
lranderson

Password won't work on single computer

Post by lranderson »

Hello,

I'm a bishopric counselor and get calls to schedule the building. A couple of nights ago I tried to do this for someone and couldn't log in on our home computer. I tried several times and then tried a laptop and was able to get in and do what I needed to. Later, my wife tried to log in and had the same problem. We can't get in on the desktop computer, but the laptop works. I'm logged in at a work computer doing this now, so my account works here. Any idea why we can't log in on our home computer? Whatever we enter, it just bounces back to the login screen. Thank you.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Password won't work on single computer

Post by sbradshaw »

How are you getting to LDS.org on your home computer – are you following a bookmark, or are you typing "LDS.org" directly into the URL bar at the top of the browser window?
Does your home computer's browser have your login information saved, so it auto-fills on the sign-in screen, or are you manually typing your username and password?
Have you tried in a different web browser on your home computer?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the problem is the movement from lds.org to churchofjesuschrist.org has created some endless loops of logins. Too many logins in a short amount of time triggers a lockout. You'll have to find something else to do before you can log in anywhere again.

I was able to duplicate the problem by starting logged out, going to lds.org, and selecting the directory. Going to the directory forces a login on lds.org. But the Directory has moved to churchofjesuschrist.org, so you get another login. But somehow it gets caught into a loop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

As the OP can login on other computers, but not his home desktop computer, to me this points to a browser issue, rather than anything else. I would suggest clearing the browser history and cookies, or try a different browser.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:As the OP can login on other computers, but not his home desktop computer, to me this points to a browser issue, rather than anything else. I would suggest clearing the browser history and cookies, or try a different browser.
Maybe, but in the act of going from one computer to another, a 15-minute lockout may have expired. When I locked myself out, I was able to get back in later in the day on the same computer with no problem. The bookmarks on the one computer could be leading them into the loop.

I think the trick is to go to lds.org and login, THEN go where you want to go. Attempting to go direct can lead you to the loop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
oleolsenlds

Post by oleolsenlds »

This is exactly what is happening to me, but clearing the browser and the cookie file didn’t work. I still cannot get logged in on my iPad, but I can on the church’s computer and on my MacBook at home. Next suggestion?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

oleolsenlds wrote:I still cannot get logged in on my iPad
Are you trying to log into a website, or provide the login to an app (such as Gospel Library or LDS Tools)? It seems some apps have problems with logins. I've not yet found or have heard what the issue is.

denbaj

Post by denbaj »

This is happening to me, as well. I can't sign in on my desktop (even after waiting a half hour or a day) but can sign in just fine to familysearch.org on the same desktop. I can sign in with no problems on my Android phone and on my laptop.

Return to “Church Account”