Password not recognized

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
katpen5

Password not recognized

Postby katpen5 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:33 am

I set up an account a while ago so my daughter could do some BYUIS classes and seminary. When I set up the account she had no problem logging in. Now, we have started seminary and she needs her church account to sign in for assignments. However, the login page will not recognize her password. We keep getting the error that the password is incorrect. We had the password saved so it shouldn't have been typed in wrong. Still, we tried retyping it several times. We tried resetting it several times. We tried the trouble shooting solution in one of the previous topics that talked about an intruder lock out. She hadn't been signed in to Gospel Library but we tried signing in there to see if that would work. Everytime we get the message that the password is incorrect. I am feeling a little anxious because seminary has started and she doesn't have access to the assignments and I don't want her to get behind. But I can find a phone number to call and the tech support takes 3-5 days by email. I did email them but I need to get this resolved sooner if possible. Do you have any suggestions I can try? Is there a number I can call?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Password not recognized

Postby lajackson » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:04 am

Your ward clerk should be able to help; you, including the ability to contact the Global Services Department, if needed to resolve the issue.

nsmedley

Postby nsmedley » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:05 pm

I am a ward clerk and just helped a ward member with a similar issue. Their son had created an LDS account a long time ago and they could not remember the password. In addition, when they tried to use the account recovery, the son could not remember the email address or phone number that they had used to set up the account with, so they were fairly distressed as seminary was starting up and they could not access the LDS account associated with the son's seminary account.
To resolve this dilemma, I had them go to familysearch.org, and from there click on forgot password. At familysearch, it gives you a third option to enter your member record number to reset your password. I provided them their member record number and they were able to reset the password and access their account so that they could do seminary. I thought I would post this info in case there are any other individuals out there in a similar situation that would find this information useful. Hope it helps someone. :)

BrianEdwards

Postby BrianEdwards » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:27 pm

This is a great solution! Hopefully this doesn't rouse any feathers, I'm always afraid nice workarounds like this will be considered bugs-to-be-fixed by the powers-that-be... :shock:

I've had this same situation before, and having an easy way like this to reset a user's password sounds quite helpful.

zan2me

Postby zan2me » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:49 pm

The member record number option is not available. My ward clerk told me that he can't access the personal information and change my email. I've spent 3 hours trying to get into my ministering sister's account to update her email so she can watch our stake conference on Sunday. Any other suggestions? Thank you

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:28 pm

zan2me wrote:The member record number option is not available.

I see it when I go to FamilySearch as described.

FamilySearch.org > click on "Sign In" > Under "password" there's a line "Forgot Username or Password". Click on the word "Password".

In the drop down list "Select Recovery Option", there is "Church Record Number".

You'll have to fill in the record number and the birth date.

Note that unless you're a clerk, you really should be helping her though this rather than doing it yourself.

My ward clerk told me that he can't access the personal information and change my email.

That function was removed from some places (like the directory) but not all. He should be able to do it in LCR. If he still has problems, send him over here and someone will give him more detailed directions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

zan2me

Postby zan2me » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:32 pm

russellhltn yes, you are correct, it is there but when I fill in the fields with the information, I get a message that the function is not available.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:44 pm

zan2me wrote:russellhltn yes, you are correct, it is there but when I fill in the fields with the information, I get a message that the function is not available.

It may be a server on the back end is down. I'd think if they had intended to remove it, they'd have removed the option.

That server may come back up later, but if it's not critical, it may not receive attention until the next workday, (Monday).

Note, that unless the Stake Conference has been set to "Private" she should be able to get in with just an event number and a name.

Also, I've been told that the Church Webcast will work with even a "non-member" account, so if she creates a new account, that should work - at least for seeing the webcast. It's not going to work for other things that require membership access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”