How to remove old email address

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
pminch

How to remove old email address

Postby pminch » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:50 am

I've had a new email address for 7 years, and have changed it on the church website. But my old email address continues to come up if someone sends me an email using the church account--or if I send someone an email from the church website, it will come from my old email address. Even though all I can see is my new email address on my personal information page. If I send my self an email, it will be from my old address to my new address. How can I remove the old address (which no longer works, so they always fail) so that it will only use my new address?
Thanks so much for any help!
Pat

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to remove old email address

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:55 am

Keep in mind there are two email addresses: Personal and Household. This is true even if you're a single member living alone.

I suspect one of them is still set to your old one. I'd go into the directory and check. If you look at your account, you'll only see your personal one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

pminch

Postby pminch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Thank you for your help. I have double checked this, but my new email is on the household line as well as my personal line. My husband has a different email, and it is listed as his personal one. When I click on the icon to send an email, it puts my old address in the from box and my new address in the to box (from either the household or the personal page.) If I click on the icon on my husband's page, my old email is in the from and his email is in the to window. Friends tell me that when they try to send me an email through the website, it is always sent to the old address, even though they can see the new address next to my name.

Thanks for your suggestion. This is kind of driving me nuts, but I'm sure it's just a simple solution, if I can just figure out where my old email has been stored.
Pat

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:59 pm

pminch wrote:When I click on the icon to send an email, it puts my old address in the from box and my new address in the to box (from either the household or the personal page.) If I click on the icon on my husband's page, my old email is in the from and his email is in the to window.

If you hover your mouse over the email link, you'll see something like "MailTo:JohnDoe@hotmail.com" in your browser (usually in the bottom left corner).

"MailTo" tells the browser to open the email program on your computer, and place "JohnDoe@hotmail.com" in the "To" field. The webpage is only supplying the "To". It's the email program on your computer that's filling in the "From".

I wouldn't be a bit surprised but what you've stopped using the email program some time ago and that's why it still has an old address.

pminch wrote:Friends tell me that when they try to send me an email through the website, it is always sent to the old address, even though they can see the new address next to my name.

Ask them which website and what do they see when they use the mouse to hover over your email address.

You could check account.churchofjesuschrist.org. The email there should be the same as your personal email.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:05 pm

That is similar to the advice you gave to this same person 3 years ago in this post:
https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=30702&p=179696#p179698
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Church Account”