wireless tv

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
farwest

wireless tv

Post by farwest »

Wondering if using a tv that has a wireless connection would work for streaming video's. One of our bishops said he could go to lds.org and watch the video's at home streaming them to his tv. Would this be a good thing so we could bypass a device hook to the tv?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

To the extent that the chapel wireless and broadband can support video on a busy Sunday. And you'd have to have a TV that's compatable with what the church streams.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I use Apple TV hooked up to my television at home to wireless send video from LDS.org on my iPhone or iPad to the TV for FHE, etc. using Apple's AirPlay technology. It works beautifully and I anticipate using the same setup at church one of these days in a teaching situation.
farwest

Post by farwest »

Does apple airplay buffer the stream or are we still going to have issues with the buffering? Also found roku doesn't support wmv files
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

farwest wrote:Does apple airplay buffer the stream or are we still going to have issues with the buffering? Also found roku doesn't support wmv files

I currently use the AppleTV to play videos, audio, and pictures for my Gospel Doctrine Class. In this case the videos are downloaded to my iPad and use the LAN(WIFI) for playback. There is no reliance on the Internet. It does work well but you want to ensure that you have your parental controls on and have taken all the apps off the screen. The only thing showing is "Sharing" and "Setup". Many leaders are concerned about what is up on the screen when nothing is being played. You also want to be sure your screen saver option is off.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

farwest wrote:Also found roku doesn't support wmv files
The Roku does not play WMV but all the content on LDS.org is MP4 and will play.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

farwest wrote:Wondering if using a tv that has a wireless connection would work for streaming video's.
We have found in our testing the processing power on SmartTVs to be slow. We have also encountered a lot of buffering issues trying to stream on a LAN. I would not suggest trying to stream content on a SmartTV in the Church. A better option might be to download the media to a USB Flash Drive and use the USB feature on the TV set for video playback.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JonesRC wrote:use the USB feature on the TV set for video playback.

Wow, you must have much more current TV technology than our stake does. I think our newest TV is at least 15 years old. No "USB feature" on any of our TVs!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Wow, you must have much more current TV technology than our stake does. I think our newest TV is at least 15 years old.

We have yet to receive a flat screen TV, but JonesRC is testing new technology. So he gets to play with stuff we don't have yet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

aebrown wrote:Wow, you must have much more current TV technology than our stake does. I think our newest TV is at least 15 years old. No "USB feature" on any of our TVs!
We are actually testing here at the Church Office Building. The TVs in my Ward House are as old as yours. In that case I would suggest a USB playback device, a Roku, or WD Box. All have a USB port for playing back media on a flash drive and have AV connection capabilities.

Return to “Digital Media”