Chromecast, any HDMI-capable TV can receive video stream

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Chromecast, any HDMI-capable TV can receive video stream

Post by JonesRC »

davjared wrote:We've fought for years to get live conference broadcasts on our tv at home ...
Have you looked into the Mormon Channel on the Roku? The Mormon Channel streams Conference live in five languages. A simple set-top-box that connects to the Internet and to your TV.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

richielloydbrown wrote:..... as well as keeping our eyes on this emerging technology to see how it might relate to needs in meetinghouse digital presentation.
There are devices like Chromecast that connect HDMI TV to Internet througt wifi (or Ethernet).
This means that you can see anything from the Net (LAN and/or WAN).
They are Android based (ARM CPU) devices with a browser in it. Some of them include an optical mouse too.
One for all: stick android hdmi from Metronic.
michaelwilliammiller

Post by michaelwilliammiller »

I would love to see the Chromecast at least within the home. It seems (from reading posts here and elsewhere) it is not a good solution when multiple people on are the same wifi network (aka, at church perhaps).

However, within the home (under wifi password protection, and the limited number of those that have that password) it would be excellent to optimize the lds.org website (especially the Move Player that runs general conference) for a Chromecasting experience to the TV. Shooting conference up from an iPod or a Tablet would be super sweet.
portersb

Post by portersb »

The Mormon Channel app on Android and iOS would gain the ability to stream audio from the radio stations, but video streams can already be passed off to the YouTube app, which will then give you the option of playing it on the Chromecast. It would be nice to have the video support integrated directly into the Mormon Channel app, but it's less pressing.

Being able to put a hymn up on a larger screen with the LDS Music app might be nice for FHE.

Using Gospel Library to play audio and scroll along automatically is one possibility for family scripture study, as well.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

portersb wrote:Being able to put a hymn up on a larger screen with the LDS Music app might be nice for FHE.
LDS Music 1.5 will support this via AirPlay. It has already been submitted to the app store and should be released this week...
MatthewGarbett

Post by MatthewGarbett »

I've had a Chromecast for a while now and it works awesome for every app I've used it with when it came out I thought it would be awesome for it to work with the Mormon Channel and Gospel Library. Hopefully you guys can get that implemented I think a lot of people would use it. The Chromecast is also a lot cheaper than other devices in the same market so even people with lower income could afford one. I added this to the Wish List on the Wiki hopefully that's ok. Anyways keep up the amazing work.
Zeustopher

Post by Zeustopher »

Just wanted to post some updated information about this. Google has released the API / SDK publically now and it is available for anyone to use. https://developers.google.com/cast/

While it's main focus is to still 'point' the chromecast to a server and pull down it's contents directly, there are many apps which are currently able to stream local content from your device, for instance a local video on my nexus 4, directly to the chromecast. This does appear to be available functionality through the SDK.

I would love to see this functionality added for my home. I currently own 2 of these devices with plans for a 3rd. With the releases of the SDK, is functionality is increasing at a very rapid rate and is quickly approaching a level where in the next few months it will rival device such as the roku in its abilities for half, or less, the cost.

(For those looking for a way to stream those longer videos available on LDS.org that aren't available on YouTube, you can download the video to your device and stream it to your chromecast using an Android app called AllCast, EzCast, or several others which you can find it in the Google Play store. There are also apps in the iTunes app store as well for iOS users.)
MatthewGarbett

Post by MatthewGarbett »

I've had a Chromecast since launch and really hope Mormon Channel and Gospel Library get updated to support send media to it. It should be pretty simple to do and I know a lot of petiole would benefit from it anyways keep up the great work guys.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

The current Android Gospel Library beta has support for Chromecast. I don't have a Chromecast device, so I can't test it, though. :)
MatthewGarbett

Post by MatthewGarbett »

I've watched an entire movie with it ( A treasure in heaven John Tanner) and it works awesome! My next request however is enabling it to work on the audio only scripture reading so we can send the audio to the TV not just videos. But I'm very happy with being able to watch all the church videos on the Chromecast now and how that the Mormon Channel app also gets support added so we can watch all the live streams and content on their on our TV using out Chromecast.

Return to “Digital Media”