Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
jweek

Postby jweek » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Does anyone know if there are any webservices available to get a listing of all video archives for past General Conferences (and other audio/video available from the Church website)? I see the RSS feeds, but they seem to only contain the audio/video for the latest General Conference. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

techgy
Community Moderators

Postby techgy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 am

jmweek wrote:Does anyone know if there are any webservices available to get a listing of all video archives for past General Conferences (and other audio/video available from the Church website)? I see the RSS feeds, but they seem to only contain the audio/video for the latest General Conference. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Try THIS page. It's an archive of the broadcasts.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

jweek

Postby jweek » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm actually looking for something that can easily give me the various audio/video archives that I could then refer to in a software application I am building. I suppose I could scan the webpages, but if they ever change the format of them I would need to change my code. Something like a webservice would be much cleaner and easier to write a software app for.

njpomeroy

Someone built a Roku Channel that includes Mormon Channel content

Postby njpomeroy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:32 pm

It uses the "private channel" functionality of the Roku SDK. I found it the other day, and it's pretty great. Here's the home page for the channel (which includes dozens of other audio and video sources as well):

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

bashonda1-p40

Please add a roku channel

Postby bashonda1-p40 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:42 pm

I think Roku has quite a future to it and if I could get byutv on the roku, I would never need to spend money on cable. I should be really easy to add the channel - could we add BYUTV?

LeonardMC
Community Moderators

Roku in the works

Postby LeonardMC » Thu May 27, 2010 9:22 am

We are currently working with Roku to determine what steps need to be taken to develop a channel. A team is assembled and we are identifying approved content. I will give an update soon about our progress. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

jribble

Give this a try

Postby jribble » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 am

I thought this would be fun to try to pull together, so I now have a private LDS Video Podcasts channel for you to try. It references videos from some of the lds.org podcasts and from the videos pages of the lds.org Gospel Library. This is really a proof of concept and a hobby project, but it does work and I'm interested to see if it works for more people than just me.

The private channel code is TMLJW. Here's how to add a private channel: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26446

Give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.

JamesAnderson

Postby JamesAnderson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:37 pm

leonardmc: Thanks for the reply, I think that almost anything digitally available via lds.org or any official site would be OK, although there may be a few with IP permissions issues that could not be used.

I'm thinking everything from 2001 on for General Conference, CES firesides, other meetings of general interest, most but not all of the segments in the Sunday School DVDs, some other material, and Mormon Messages, etc. That would provide a substantial 'starter' collection'.

Now for audio matters such as Mormon Channel. We're moving more and more towards intermediary devices being used to bring web content to the home and car, for audio there's a lot of chatter about Internet radio in the car, some manufacturers already have production-ready devices already being sold. And here's a blog post about one such way this is happening.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20007037-48.html

It's obvious that some variations of the Mormon Channel app would have to be made for displays like this, most smartphone displays are vertical, while the sample display shown is horizontal.

kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Postby kennethjorgensen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 am

jribble wrote:I thought this would be fun to try to pull together, so I now have a private LDS Video Podcasts channel for you to try. It references videos from some of the lds.org podcasts and from the videos pages of the lds.org Gospel Library. This is really a proof of concept and a hobby project, but it does work and I'm interested to see if it works for more people than just me.

The private channel code is TMLJW. Here's how to add a private channel: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26446

Give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.

Is it possible to add a private channel if you just use the Boxee software (and not the box)?

I have the LDS RSS videos working with the "My RSS Feeds" app but would like to add this private channel too.

jribble

Postby jribble » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:19 am

The private channel is for the Roku video player. I don't think Boxee is able to use Roku channels.

Return to “Digital Media”